First litter of quads for me!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
It has been a crazy year for large litters in my herd. Normally I get one or two sets of triplets but this year has been nuts. So far this year I have had 8 sets of triplets, one set of sextuplets and a set of quads born today to Becky and Buckeye. So far July has been pretty slow but at this rate I will top 100 kits with only 24 breeding females.

I couldn't resist sharing a photo of the quads (great weights by the way at 54, 58, 59 and 65 gms). Mom topped the scales at 1500 gms so I knew she had at least a set of triplets in there!

Attachments

• DSC_0242.jpg
    DSC_0242.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0235.jpg
    DSC_0235.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0232.jpg
    DSC_0232.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 114
Holy Cow!!! That's a lot of multiples!!

We had a litter of quads here but the runt didn't make it. And another of my females has always had trips herself....but I have never seen Sextuplets!!!! That's awesome!:dance3:

Congrats on the babes, they are too stinking adorable. Love that last pic!
And what great weights for a litter of quads!

wow!! You've got your hands full Juanita. I have a mom due tomorrow I believe is going to have triplets. I hate triplets. Well I should say I love the bebes but I hate handfeeding!

Great weights for quads! Hope they do well and mom is good at teaching them fighting is not good. I've only had one set of quads. The mom gave kits a time out away from her and the rest of the kits if they fought. I've never seen a mom do this before but it was obvious that's what she was doing if you were lucky enough to witness it.

OMGOOOOODNESS!!!! Too incredibly adorable!!! Congrats Juanita! Wow that was a biiiiig momma with biiiig healthy cute adorable fuzz butts!!! Who could ask for more...BTW you are realllly tempting me to take an early trip to pick up Sitara now...I just want to kiss and scritch all of those adorable little heads!!!!

1500?!?! That has to be some kind of record!!! Congrats, and I hope all the kits nurse well & don't argue. Great birth weights! Wow. Just wow. :)

What gorguess kits!! Congrats!!! And I agree on the record =o (I still love mosaics- will ALWAYS have a soft spot for em!)

wow!! You've got your hands full Juanita. I have a mom due tomorrow I believe is going to have triplets. I hate triplets. Well I should say I love the bebes but I hate handfeeding!

Good luck with that Jess - maybe you will get lucky! I have had great success with Fuzzie Kingdoms Lactation Supplement. It hasn't eliminated the need to rotate the first couple of days in every litter but I am a firm believer that it has helped establish a quicker and more bountiful milk supply on my moms with larger litters. I also start to feed extra alfalfa when they are nearing their due date and hang a bottle of 50/50 water and apple juice on the cage on the day they litter. I think this routine has helped me tremendously this summer!

Great weights for quads! Hope they do well and mom is good at teaching them fighting is not good. I've only had one set of quads. The mom gave kits a time out away from her and the rest of the kits if they fought. I've never seen a mom do this before but it was obvious that's what she was doing if you were lucky enough to witness it.

I would love to see that! I have one mom who only has two kits and she is great at correcting them and keeping them in line. At first I thought she was in the process of rejecting them but turns out she just runs a very tight ship and doesn't let them step out of line at all!

1500?!?! That has to be some kind of record!!! Congrats, and I hope all the kits nurse well & don't argue. Great birth weights! Wow. Just wow. :)

I doubt it is a record by any means Wendy but she was huge (heck I have one from you that is 1100 gms not pregnant, I would hate to see her have a large litter)! She is a good size to begin with and this is her second large litter for me. I am beginning to think she doesn't do anything small! Lol!!!

Congrats on all your new additions this year. Thanks for posting pictures.

I have one female that is over 1500 I hope she doesn't have triplets plus.

24 hours old and doing great so far! I decided to foster 2 of the kits to give them all a better chance of survival. I have two moms with newly weaned kits still producing milk so I gave them one kit each and after 24 hours everyone is settled. One of the foster kits maintained his weight and the other 3 lost a gm or two. The second foster has a slight click so I am cautious about him right now (I have seen him huddle more for warmth with the foster than I have actively seen him nurse so I am supplementing him for now). Really hoping the click resolves but know that it may not. He doesn't appear to be getting weaker which is a good sign so keeping fingers crossed.

Oh my G's!! Juantia they are devine!!! Their mother did a fantastic job with this group. And having two foster moms was a blessing.

I don't have many kits born here to keep my numbers low. My first year of breeding was quads followed by trips followed by quads and then the two singles. You should see my face as I sigh, close my eyes and shake my head back and forth thinking back on that. All first time moms. Now if that doesn't scare a new breeder I don't know what would!

Note to self: Shop for fuzzy small stuffed animal to sneak into moms cage in exchange for a soft fuzzy kit. Oh heck! Make that two stuffed animals. :innocent:

One week old today!

This set of quads continue to do well, the two that I have fostered out have not gained as much weight as the two that remained with the birth mother but they are doing well regardless. I have named them Penny, Leonard, Sheldon and Raj (sorry wasn't a set of quints but I'm not a huge fan of Howard Wolowitz anyway)! :)

Attachments

• DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0247.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0251.jpg
    DSC_0251.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 28
Back