First Bird-- Need advice please!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amsue0222

chin lover
Ok so I have been obsessing over Quaker Parrots for the past few months and have finally decided that with my Bday coming up that I want one for my birthday. I normally don't advocate pets as gifts but this is different as I want it and am seeking it out. So I have a choice--Do I get the Blue Quaker that is already a few years old and appears to be friendly-- Or do I get the hand fed baby that is going to be 8-10 weeks old when I get him?
The baby is $175.00 without a cage-- The Blue that is a few years old is $300.00 with the cage -- so I think that money wise the Blue is a better deal but I am really wanting a bird that is my bird and is bonded to me. THe money is not as important as a great pet. I understand that there are certain birds that are just stubborn but in an ideal situation should I go with the baby or the bird that is already a few years old? I know that I enjoy older chins but have heard that birds can be a nightmare if you don't get them when they are babies? Anyone have any experience with older birds or baby birds?

I'd say go for the adult.
I had cockatiels as a young girl. I had an older gal I got at the pet shop who was an ABSOLUTE dream. I had to work with her a little at first but after that she was amazing.
Then when she died, I got 2 babies who were a NIGHTMARE! Sqwaked (Sp) constantly, I mean CONSTANTLY! They were dumb as all get out, every time I got them out (Even though their wings were clipped) they'd fly straight into the wall every single time, flop down and they look around like they had no idea what happened. Would not chill out, nothing. I couldn't stand it.

Is there any way you can go visit with the adult parrot? See how he behaves, if he likes you and talk with the current owners?

When I got my Quaker he was about a year old, and I loved him to death.... I miss him dearly... He bonded to me just fine, but he did say some weird stuff when he first came home :) Just so you know they are VERY loud! But they are also great talkers and super sweet... :) good luck!

I am going to see him before I make the decision-I have never had a bird before and am just sort of anxious and don't want to make a terrible mistake!

I have a Quaker and he can be a handful. They are notorious for cage aggression. I personally would take the younger one and you can work out the aggression early. They are loud and have a really annoying flock call. It is monotonous and repetitive and you will be amazed how long they will keep it up. Mine, Pender, will start anytime I leave his sight as I am his flock. The longer he can't see me, the louder and more desperate the call and sometimes will even become a screech like a child throwing a tantrum.

Price wise, those are about the same. I bought Pender for $100 without a cage. I had to really search to find one for that cheap. He was hand fed and newly weaned. I saw blues in my searches for an average of $400.

Here is a Quaker forum that is very informative. And feel free to ask me any specific questions you might think of.
http://www.quakerparrots.com/forum/

I have a Quaker and he can be a handful. They are notorious for cage aggression. I personally would take the younger one and you can work out the aggression early. They are loud and have a really annoying flock call. It is monotonous and repetitive and you will be amazed how long they will keep it up. Mine, Pender, will start anytime I leave his sight as I am his flock. The longer he can't see me, the louder and more desperate the call and sometimes will even become a screech like a child throwing a tantrum.

Price wise, those are about the same. I bought Pender for $100 without a cage. I had to really search to find one for that cheap. He was hand fed and newly weaned. I saw blues in my searches for an average of $400.

Here is a Quaker forum that is very informative. And feel free to ask me any specific questions you might think of.
http://www.quakerparrots.com/forum/

Hey Thanks!!
I am excited and a bit nervous at the same time. My husband wants to go with the baby so we can train it early. I sort of agree. I am not worried about the color as much as I am the temperment--the blues are very pretty though.

I did really want a blue also, but was just not willing to spend the $.

Tough decision! Personally I have always leaned more towards a mature bird, as I know the temperament, and no surprises down the road, but will add that babies are cute too!
Baby Quakers can make a begging sound when still young. Depending on how tolerant you are of the noise factor, it might not bother you at all.
I'd also advise purchasing an attack toy, such as a bell on chain. It's a quaker thing. Our guy was named the Green Hornet, and was always going after it. LOL They are really creative birds too. I don't know if you've ever seen them weaving plastic straws threw the cage bars. Pretty neat! Best of luck on whatever choice you make.

Tough decision! Personally I have always leaned more towards a mature bird, as I know the temperament, and no surprises down the road, but will add that babies are cute too!
Baby Quakers can make a begging sound when still young. Depending on how tolerant you are of the noise factor, it might not bother you at all.
I'd also advise purchasing an attack toy, such as a bell on chain. It's a quaker thing. Our guy was named the Green Hornet, and was always going after it. LOL They are really creative birds too. I don't know if you've ever seen them weaving plastic straws threw the cage bars. Pretty neat! Best of luck on whatever choice you make.

LOL !! We are going with the baby for a few reasons, mostly because my husband has a strong preference for animals that don't already have behaviors. I like shelter animals myself, rescues. He would rather get them as babies and train them as he wants to.

I think you made the right decision chosing the baby. It's a big step to get a quaker as your first bird and I think a baby is the best way to get the best experience bonding with a bird. If you had owned bird before then I think adopting an older bird would be great. They can sometimes be a handful and sometimes need an experienced bird person to work thru their issues.

Back