finally bought a gram scale and weighed everyone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'culled' to some breeders means destroy - to others (most) it means stop breeding from the lines and find the chins pet homes/and or keep them as just pets.
My pedigrees go back 5 generations if I have that information - some of my lines I can go back even further - however when I give the pedigree backround to a new chin owner I do go back the 5 generations

my pedigrees go back 4-5 generations

and thank you twf.I know you have helped me with a few questions i have and i have no problems asking questions now. I have realized that....

im happy with what i have, as for the 2 female sugar gliders i returned them back to the rescue, they wanted nothing to do with me and they were starting to turn very aggressive,even at night they wouldnt come out of hiding, i just felt like i wasnt experienced enough to be able to try and rebond with an animal that was that aggressive, all i have now is my 3 males,daddy and 2 babies...which are not hard to manage at all...so yes i admit i got over my head with the rescues but i fixed that problem by doing the rite thing and returning them.

You gave the gliders to rescue?? I saw them on Craigslist a handful of times & was kind of confused as to why you were getting rid of them so soon.

You gave the gliders to rescue?? I saw them on Craigslist a handful of times & was kind of confused as to why you were getting rid of them so soon.

my boyfriend had convinced me to sell them on craigslist,everyone that emailed me had no knowledge of gliders and i refused to let them go to those people...and i talked to twf, i couldnt properly bond to them, they wanted nothing to do with me and for there best interest i figured they needed someone who could bond with them,or someone willing to have them just as a pet to take care of,without worrying about bonding with them..

my boyfriend had convinced me to sell them on craigslist,everyone that emailed me had no knowledge of gliders and i refused to let them go to those people...and i talked to twf, i couldnt properly bond to them, they wanted nothing to do with me and for there best interest i figured they needed someone who could bond with them,or someone willing to have them just as a pet to take care of,without worrying about bonding with them..

You didn't really have them long enough to establish a bond with them though, did you?

You didn't really have them long enough to establish a bond with them though, did you?

that wasnt the issue,when i took them home they did fine, they would let me pet them i took them and tried to have play time with them etc...then they started getting aggressive all of a sudden and wouldnt even come out at nite to play in there cage,i felt that they did not want to bond with me so i wasnt going to force them, it was in there best interest..not mine, because i would have kept them just to have as pets but like twf said they wouldnt have gotten the attention they needed..and i wasnt going to do that to them,but its not an issue anymore,i no longer have them.

Wait a sec - I didn't know that you were having problems or that you were even thinking about rehoming them until I read it in this thread. I had spoken with you about intitial care and about making sure the rescue was legit that you were getting these animals from because of the low rehoming fee, but after you got the father and the two joeys on top of the two girls, I kind of backed off because that was way too much at one time for a first time suggie owner. I pretty much said that it was in their best interest after I found out that they were back at the rescue because you have too much on your hands now and it was obvious that you didn't realize how much care it really takes when taking care of gliders. Some gliders will never bond with you, and it's hard to realize that, but you needed some time to learn how to properly take care of them before you took on that many at one time. I hate to see them back at the rescue, as we try to keep all suggies out of rescues, but I didn't see how you could properly bond with the two girls when you're busy hand feeding joeys and you have absolutely no experience with the animal whatsoever.

Before anyone bashes me, I had absolutely no idea of the resulting situation and would have helped her find a suitable home outside of the rescue if I had known what was going on. The way it sounded was as if I told her to take them to the rescue, and I never even knew that was her intention or that they were on CL. I was just a source of information in the beginning, only trying to help educate.

that wasnt the issue,when i took them home they did fine, they would let me pet them i took them and tried to have play time with them etc...then they started getting aggressive all of a sudden and wouldnt even come out at nite to play in there cage,i felt that they did not want to bond with me so i wasnt going to force them, it was in there best interest..not mine, because i would have kept them just to have as pets but like twf said they wouldnt have gotten the attention they needed..and i wasnt going to do that to them,but its not an issue anymore,i no longer have them.

I am glad it isn't an issue anymore for you, I just see the poor girl running the local glider rescue trying to get them where they need to be with her constant post on Craigs lists... I just can't understand why your would put them on CL if she is CONSTANTLY posting about gliders... I hope you & her came together & got these animals to the proper place to bond with a FURever home...:broken:

males
deuce-tov white vc-486 grams-may 13,2009
onix-dark ebony-500 grams-may 13,2009
nugget-medium tan-481 grams-september 2,2009
oreo-white ebony-537 grams-september 17,2009

females
pebbles-standard-560 grams-may 1,2008
lexi-medium tan-680 grams-may 29,2008
boosie-beige-436 grams-june 2,2009
coconut-standard-670 grams-july 9,2009
tinkerbell-black velvet-475 grams-august 1,2009
blizzard-tan-565 grams-july 10,2009
minnie-mosiac-653 grams-april 2,2009

are these good weights for there ages, i would like to experiences opinions :)

I honestly think besides the weights that you would and should definately have more standards to start with then just two. a nice quality standard and in your case a large quality standard will often help improve some of your flaws you may have.
Also I dont think your tov v/c mosaic is ever going to get very big being there is soooo many mutes mixed in there but maybe a large standard could help to a degree there to.
Good luck and hopefully you do wait awhile longer and do some more research before you breed. knowledge is power and you should always strive to better your herd......;)

I also want to add that you probably dont want to put to large of a male in with to small of a female because she may have problems delivering. I just wanted to add that in case you didnt know.

I honestly think besides the weights that you would and should definately have more standards to start with then just two. a nice quality standard and in your case a large quality standard will often help improve some of your flaws you may have.
Also I dont think your tov v/c mosaic is ever going to get very big being there is soooo many mutes mixed in there but maybe a large standard could help to a degree there to.
Good luck and hopefully you do wait awhile longer and do some more research before you breed. knowledge is power and you should always strive to better your herd......;)

thank you for your opinion and yes when i decide to expand i will pick up some more standards,when i first began i wasnt aware of needing to breed standards in the mix,i learned that on cnh..and yes he is small :( but he is so pretty..makes me sad he doesnt have more size to him

i was talking to tiffany on advice on how to get them to bond with me because i was having so many problems with them...i not once asked for her advice about getting rid of them etc..that was an assumption you all made.....so im sorry tiffany if i got you caught up in anything i should have been more detailed because people jump to conclusions....

Courtney...I really hope you will continue to do as we've recommended and take a step back. If you don't want your threads misunderstood I'd recommend making the questions you ask more general. For instance...instead of starting the thread with your chins weights and asking if those are good for breeding ask what a good weight is for (enter age here) chinchilla. Then, later in the thread you can give your chin's weights. Everything I've read from you comes across as extremely eager to breed to the point of just tossing things together. Get yourself to a show before considering breeding or expanding. You REALLY need to take a step back and think harder on this and establish better goals.

I started out the wrong way with just wanting all the cool colors and wanting to breed for the cool colors...I've never regretted anything more, but the moment someone told me I was doing it wrong I thought about it and made the necessary changes. And please, don't get defensive and tell me the amount of animals you and your boyfriend have or that you aren't breeding RIGHT(not rite) now. I get the feeling that you think we mean to wait a couple weeks or until you've gone to one show and then to just jump right in. Is your goal to be breeding by the end of the year? I would make sure you are stable and will not have to sell off all your chinchillas soon. You seem young which makes me want to ask the following questions.

1. Are you going to college? If so...where will you go with the chinchillas? Who will care for them while you're in classes? Can you bring babies that need handfed to school with you?

2. If no college, will you be able to get a job that can support yourself and the chins? Will you be able to get a job that will let you bring kits? Who will care for the chins when you are at work?

3. Do you live with your parents? Are they ok with the idea of more chins? Do they support the idea of you breeding them knowing that you won't make a profit?

4. If you don't live with your parents, do you rent? If you a rent a place...they will not let you have 10 chins let alone 20.

5. Chins also do not breed well when moved multiple times...they need consistency to feel safe enough to breed. Can you say that you will be stable enough to move very little over the next 10, 20, or however many years?

I don't think at such a young age you could be completely stable and ready to breed a larger amount of chinchillas. I am still young myself, but I am almost done with college and my boyfriend is about to buy us a house where we can make a separate building/room for the chinchillas. We've planned this for 3 years and I've had my chins for a long time. I have sacrificed a lot of great learning opportunities to avoid moving my chinchillas and stressing them and delayed my degree progress for the same chins. It takes a lot of dedication, sacrifice, and stability to handle more than 10 chins and breed them. PLEASE, take a step back and think VERY hard on what you are about to get yourself into and take the time to think on the questions I've posed.

Courtney...I really hope you will continue to do as we've recommended and take a step back. If you don't want your threads misunderstood I'd recommend making the questions you ask more general. For instance...instead of starting the thread with your chins weights and asking if those are good for breeding ask what a good weight is for (enter age here) chinchilla. Then, later in the thread you can give your chin's weights. Everything I've read from you comes across as extremely eager to breed to the point of just tossing things together. Get yourself to a show before considering breeding or expanding. You REALLY need to take a step back and think harder on this and establish better goals.

I started out the wrong way with just wanting all the cool colors and wanting to breed for the cool colors...I've never regretted anything more, but the moment someone told me I was doing it wrong I thought about it and made the necessary changes. And please, don't get defensive and tell me the amount of animals you and your boyfriend have or that you aren't breeding RIGHT(not rite) now. I get the feeling that you think we mean to wait a couple weeks or until you've gone to one show and then to just jump right in. Is your goal to be breeding by the end of the year? I would make sure you are stable and will not have to sell off all your chinchillas soon. You seem young which makes me want to ask the following questions.

1. Are you going to college? If so...where will you go with the chinchillas? Who will care for them while you're in classes? Can you bring babies that need handfed to school with you?

2. If no college, will you be able to get a job that can support yourself and the chins? Will you be able to get a job that will let you bring kits? Who will care for the chins when you are at work?

3. Do you live with your parents? Are they ok with the idea of more chins? Do they support the idea of you breeding them knowing that you won't make a profit?

4. If you don't live with your parents, do you rent? If you a rent a place...they will not let you have 10 chins let alone 20.

5. Chins also do not breed well when moved multiple times...they need consistency to feel safe enough to breed. Can you say that you will be stable enough to move very little over the next 10, 20, or however many years?

I don't think at such a young age you could be completely stable and ready to breed a larger amount of chinchillas. I am still young myself, but I am almost done with college and my boyfriend is about to buy us a house where we can make a separate building/room for the chinchillas. We've planned this for 3 years and I've had my chins for a long time. I have sacrificed a lot of great learning opportunities to avoid moving my chinchillas and stressing them and delayed my degree progress for the same chins. It takes a lot of dedication, sacrifice, and stability to handle more than 10 chins and breed them. PLEASE, take a step back and think VERY hard on what you are about to get yourself into and take the time to think on the questions I've posed.

i was never intending to wait a few weeks then breed, the way i come across over text is just different, so im sorry if you misunderstood that part...i intend to wait till i feel i am prepared for it by any means.

i am currently in college, i have been in college for a year now...no i can not take them with me but my mother has no problem helping me when i need help if its for a understandable reason..for instance my mother feeds my sugar glider joeys for me if im at work, being that she knows my job is important and she has no problem helping me with that.

Do you live with your parents? Are they ok with the idea of more chins? Do they support the idea of you breeding them knowing that you won't make a profit?

my mom knows that i intend to breed my chins eventually and she has no problem with that as long as i take care of them properly and show them the attention they need and deserve...

If you don't live with your parents, do you rent? If you a rent a place...they will not let you have 10 chins let alone 20.

if it ever came down to finding an apartment my grandmother has one that she doesnt rent out, she said whenever im ready to get a place of my own im more than welcome to rent that place...she has no problem with my chins. also i am welcome to stay at home as long as im in college making something of myself..my mother has told me that a 1000 times. so i wont be leaving home anytime soon.

so please i hope you all understand im trying to do things the rite way like you asked....i thank most of you for the advice

Back