Fight resulting in death.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany_Lynn

I like dinosaurs :3
:cry3: *sigh* I just opened an account here because I need some chinchilla advice. I'll start at the beginning and work my way from there. It's a long story. Please bear with me.
In August, I rescued a pair of breeder chins from a woman who was downsizing her colony. They weren't in the best shape. Not very friendly. The male had hair mats. They've gotten 1000x better since then. She didn't know their ages...b/n 4 and 7 years was her guess. Their names are Rodya and Sonya, and they are standard.
Anyway it started my chin obsession. On 11-2-09 I went to an SPCA shelter where they had been given about 30 chins from a hoarder. I decided I wanted a pair of friendly boys, and from a cage of 4, after talking with a volunteer, I chose a silver white mosaic, who was named Opie but I renamed him Mork, and a Black Velvet named Orson. Mork and Orson were under 1 year old, my guess when I first got them in November was about 6 months old. The volunteers told me they were brothers, but Mork and Orson were not both sexually mature--Mork was, Orson was not.
For a few weeks everything was fine, but then Mork kept attacking Orson. Non stop. It got so bad that one day when I came home, there were handfuls of Orson's hair in the cage, and his ears had been punctured, twice. At that point I split them up, giving Mork the smaller cage.
On December 8th, Sonya had a healthy baby boy. If you are wondering, I do not want to breed them, but I am waiting for Rodya to become more social before I get him neutered. I don't want to have too many changes too fast, he still has a problem with some fur biting, but no more mats---took a long time though. Anyway, Ivan, the new baby, is so small he can get through the bars of Rodya and Sonya's cage. On New Year's Eve I found him in my living room, his back legs not working properly. Long story short, for some reason he was paralyzed from the neck to the tail for a week, but after hand feeding him and giving him antibiotics, he made a full recovery. I was really proud of him and of my care for him. But I didn't want to risk it happening again, so I put him in the small cage with mom and dad. It was the cage Rodya and Sonya had lived all their life previously in--and the cage Mork had been staying in. Now Rodya and Sonya aren't the friendliest chins, but I don't blame them, but when I put them in that small cage, whenever I would open the door they would jump into my hands. They'd gone from a 4 foot tall cage to a 9 cubic feet cage they remembered...I'd probably do the same. So for January, caging was as follows:
Rodya, Sonya, baby Ivan - smallest cage, bars no where near big enough for baby to get out
Mork - single, 4 foot tall cage
Orson - Single, 4 foot tall cage. They are cat cages which come on wheels, were on opposite ends of the room.
After a month of heart wrenching guilt at having forced Rodya and Sonya back into that tiny cage again, and after making sure Ivan was fully weaned, I kept Ivan in the tiny cage, and moved Rodya and Sonya to their 4 foot tall single. Meanwhile, I kept Mork in the bathroom as I transformed Orson's single into a double. I put the ledges in the exact middle, and covered the space between with a thick cardboard box, which had a 2 inch lip, Orson used it for his potty, and I put his marble slab on there so that he couldn't get down from the top half, and Mork couldn't get up from the bottom half.
The two halves of the 4 foot cage are each larger than the small cage Ivan is in...but Ivan is fine, he has PLENTY of room. Still too small to go in with mom and dad--can still squeeze through the bars.
So that brings us to Tonight/Today. I woke up from a nap at 10:30pm, and went into the room my chins are in, and saw Mork on the top half of the cage. I assumed my roommate had switched the two because Mork has a habit of throwing hay and poop on the floor, and roomie was getting sick of it. Then I noticed Orson, curled up in a box in the top with Mork. I poked him and he didn't run away, problem number one. I put Mork in the bottom, and found that Orson had chewed a tiny hole in the corner of his litter box, and Mork made it bigger from the bottom, and squeezed through. I covered the back corner with the marble and took Orson out... :cry3: He was in really bad shape. He had a cut on his lower lip and was drooling profusely, he was limp in my hands and didn't struggle when I dried his mouth. His right ear was full of blood, and when I looked at the space between his ears, I saw a ton of bite wounds. I believe Mork ripped some of Orson's skin away from his skull, I couldn't tell because of Orson's dark fur. I immediately called my emergency vet, and headed on my way over. Orson was breathing heavily, then, 5 minutes before getting to the emergency vet, he was loudly struggling to breath, gurgling because of the drool. I put my finger in his mouth and he didn't bite, just let the drool go around my finger. It seemed to help him breathe. Then it got worse and worse, and finally, stopped. I thought that was a good sign, but at a red light 10 seconds later I looked down in my arm and saw that he had passed away :cry3:

To be honest, and I didn't share this with anyone but this forum, I tried to give him CPR. It didn't work. His heart had stopped and I couldn't get it going again. I didn't really know what to do so I went to the vet and told them. They said they were sorry and gave me info on cremation. I had hoped they would try to shock him back to life with those electric paddles, but...no luck. I took him home so he wouldn't be alone, and I sat for a while and petted him. I cleaned him up and took care of all of his fur slips, and tried to clean up the blood on his head. He's in a towel now, while I decide if I want to bury him or cremate him.

Here's the part where I need help. What do I do with Mork? I love him, I really do, but he is so aggressive and...he has now killed the chinchilla that was his cage mate. I forgot to mention earlier, I figured out about 2 weeks into owning him, that Mork is deaf. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not. At first their fights were the result of Mork sexually dominating Orson. But this fight showed no signs of sexual dominance, only physical wounds in the head area. The only thing Orson did to Mork was bite his lip--Mork's top right lip has a small bite wound. He's otherwise fine.
I love my chinchillas, and I am hating myself for not getting a better, more solid barrier between the two halves of their cage. I cannot express my guilt enough. I am afraid that if I bring Mork back to the SPCA, that while he will find a lovely home as the only chinchilla--because I wouldn't let him go to them unless that were defined in his adoption papers--that when I get home I'll be overcome with guilt. I need some help deciding what to do with Mork. I have Rodya and Sonya and Ivan; I was going to adopt Ivan out to my sister or cousin until his paralysis. He has been so close to me that I can't now.
Rodya will be getting fixed sometime soon. I don't want Sonya to have another litter before then, but I have no place to separate them, and they're bonded so they get depressed when separated anyway. According to their previous owner, they fur bite and refuse to eat when put in different cages.

I want to do what is best for all of my animals, after having failed Orson. I appreciate any comments, except for those telling me my mistakes with caging Mork and Orson. Obviously I have learned my lesson the hard way, I can't go back and change it, and I don't need to be told by anyone beside myself what an idiot I am. I'm sorry for the long post, but hopefully you understand why I feel that all of the information is pertinent.

Thank you. Brittany_Lynn

20256_623481725705_24415275_35741108_3259395_n.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss- I personally would try to keep Mork if you could keep him caged separate/ have separate play time from your other chins, it sounds like he's been through quite a bit already- but that's just me.

I woud definitely keep Mork separated from other chins. Some just can't get paired.

I would also definitely separate your couple. If you don't they'll breed. They have instincts and will breed. Maybe already did. Of course they'll 'miss' each other for a while but they'll get use to it. They are animals and have no 'human' feeling. They won't be 'depressed' per se. The male will smell the female, want to breed, etc. That you are taking for depression but it's not. It's instinct. I'm sure you can fit another cage on top of one for a while. Especially as you know they were not from a reputable breeder, these animals could have genetic problems.

I'm sorry for Orson....

I'm going to start the ball rolling & I am pretty sure that others will also add their bit as well.
Prepare for a steep learning curve & please take these posts in the way they are meant - as a help to you & the chinchillas in your care. :)

On December 8th, Sonya had a healthy baby boy. If you are wondering, I do not want to breed them, but I am waiting for Rodya to become more social before I get him neutered. I don't want to have too many changes too fast, he still has a problem with some fur biting,

1. Separate the male & female NOW - get a spare cage & get that male out. It's already too late & the female is more than likely on a breed back - prepare for more kits on or around 29th March (that's 111 days since 8th December).

2. Rodya - get him neutered now if you want him to live with the female. There's no point in waiting for him to become tame - he may never become tame & you're going to keep having litters of kits, which is not fair on any of them but most especially the poor female.

Here's the part where I need help. What do I do with Mork? I love him, I really do, but he is so aggressive and...he has now killed the chinchilla that was his cage mate.

3. Mork - you keep him on his own & treat him with love & compassion. What happened was not his fault. He was just being a chinchilla. Most people (there are exceptions to every rule) will never keep pairs of males together where there are females present.
Once maturity hits & females go into season/oestrus then males will fight to the death over those females. It is a natural instinct to fight to be "the" male & that is most likely what happened between Mork & poor Orson.
Males can (sadly) fight to the death - with or without the presence of a female but most especially if females are present. Often it comes without any warning.

I forgot to mention earlier, I figured out about 2 weeks into owning him, that Mork is deaf. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not.

4. What makes you think Mork is deaf? I doubt it will have made any difference to the fighting TBH.

I want to do what is best for all of my animals, after having failed Orson. I appreciate any comments, except for those telling me my mistakes with caging Mork and Orson. Obviously I have learned my lesson the hard way, I can't go back and change it, and I don't need to be told by anyone beside myself what an idiot I am. I'm sorry for the long post, but hopefully you understand why I feel that all of the information is pertinent.

5. Stick around! No matter what kind of comments you get (you won't always hear what you want but don't give up reading) your chins need you to know as much about their welfare & health as you can. There's plenty of great info on this forum - do some searches & ask plenty of questions. You'll learn loads & your chins will benefit from it.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Claire - do what she said and your chins will be happy and you will have 'done right by your chins' Good luck and WELCOME!!! There is a lot of good information here about the proper care of your chins

BTW I forgot to add - you'll need a proper kit-safe cage before 29th March - one with correct spacing on the mesh/bars so that any kits cannot escape & one level so that the mother cannot leave the kits to get cold/hungry etc.

Welcome, very happy you have found CnH, you definitely came to the right place for information.

I also agree with Claire D. all the way.

It is something new owners don't know and many don't think of and/or remember.

two male chins in the same cage with a female chin in another cage in the house = a very serious fight between males (mostly assured).

That is animal nature... darn humans do it.

Stick around you will enjoy the information available to you. :)

i would keep Monk. you love him. he is your pet. you will find a way to make it work.
separate the maie and female, and buy an extra cage to start.
when you find a qualified vet to have him fixed, do so and then maybe you can put them back together.
welcome......you will find great info here!

The two halves of the 4 foot cage are each larger than the small cage Ivan is in...but Ivan is fine, he has PLENTY of room. Still too small to go in with mom and dad--can still squeeze through the bars.

Do not put Ivan back in with mom and dad or you will have another fight once Ivan reaches sexual maturity.

What I would do is put dad and son in one cage that Ivan can not get out of and mom in a kit safe cage in a different room. Even if she wasn't bred straight back by now she probably has, so you will either need to have her in Ivan's cage by March or buy her a kit safe cage.

Last edited:
1. Welcome! I'm sorry it wasn't under better circumstances.

2. You should only have as many chins as you can provide individual enclosures for. My advice - get one or two Ferret Nation 142 cages. They have two stories, and each story can be separated out to become an individual cage. They are NOT baby safe, so you would still need a maternity cage!

3. Mork did not do anything that is uncommon to chinchillas. Some members of the forum have had chins who have lived together peacefully for a while turn on eachother. Sometimes it just happens. Don't for one minute think he will not make a good pet because of this. My husband and I have one chin who cannot deal with other chins, and she is awesome with us.

4. It takes a while for chinchillas to trust you. The best way to get Mork and the others to come around would be for you to just sit and talk to them. I know it sounds silly, but I would sit in our office (and chinchilla room) and read a book aloud. They get used to the sound of your voice. Or, when you let them out for playtime, you can just sit on the floor with them. I would sit and read on our bathroom floor, and it was only a matter of time before a chin was in lap checking out what I was doing.

You made a mistake. It happens, and it sucks, but it's good that you are using it as a learning experience.

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I apologize for the part where I said
...I have been a part of some other forums in the past whose members tend to rudely tell people what they did wrong, even if they have already acknowledged it. My parrotlet forum is kinda notorious for having random members who bash anyone who thinks about getting a different home for a bird, even if it is 1000times better for the animal. So I'm sorry I was afraid of that! Hope no one is offended. :)

I appreciate everyone's advice so much. At this moment, Mork is in his single enclosure, Sonya is in hers, and Rodya and Ivan are together in the baby-safe enclosure. I am pretty sure by March that Ivan will be big enough to swap cages with mom-so that would put Sonya in Kit-safe enclosure, and Rodya & Ivan in the larger, single cage.
While I do research in my local area for an experiences exotic vet, (the one I took Ivan too was ok, but she didn't really have any advice for Ivan because she'd never seen a kit that young before), is there a thread or an article someone could point me to so that I will know what to expect after getting Rodya home from being neutered? I have a feeling that this website might be helpful: http://www.chincare.com/Pages/ResponsibleBreeding.htm#neuteringarticles

4. What makes you think Mork is deaf? I doubt it will have made any difference to the fighting TBH.
Mork does not react to any loud noise unless it vibrates his cage in some way. When he is asleep, I have attempted to wake him up by talking softly, then getting progressively louder, but this has failed, and on two occasions he has awoke to my face *really* close to his, which freaked him out and sent him running around the cage a couple hundred times, haha. I put him in the bathroom with me occasionally (chin safe room I play with them in) and will turn on the faucet--no reaction. Opposite with Rodya/Sonya still, and Orson also reacted to the water faucet as Rodya and Sonya did.
In another experiment, I put my ipod headphone as close to Mork's ears as I could without it touching the hair in his ears, and I turned on the music--no reaction at all. When I did it with Orson, on the other hand, he turned his head to investigate what was making that noise.
Lastly, he has a habit of shaking the door to the cage furiously when I am in the same room as he is and he wants attention. This noise sends Rodya, Sonya, Ivan, and (did send) Orson scattering. But Mork will sit there and shake it. The noise is pretty much the most annoying, loud, metal rattling noise I've ever heard, and I think if Mork could hear he'd scare himself too badly to do it anymore. A note: he comes out A LOT more than Rodya, Sonya, or Ivan, because of this rattling. Never after he rattles though, don't want to reward the bad behavior--and he rides around on my shoulder. He's a sweet boy when he wants to be. But sometimes he just needs to be in his cage, obviously, so I have gotten in the habit of putting a folded towel in the space between the door and the cage so that when he pulls on it, the noise is muffled. It has helped the nerves of the other chins significantly, ha.

Thank you again for your advice, and for talking to me, etc. I look forward to a long happy relationship on this forum :)

P.S.
I'd like to share some pictures of my other chinchillas.
Ivan (currently):
SDC13103-1.jpg

SDC13141-1.jpg

SDC13094.jpg

This photo was taken the day Ivan was born:
SDC12953.jpg

Mom and baby, day 2
SDC12946.jpg

If you look above, on Sonya's left eye (the one that isn't above Ivan) has some sort of wound on it, which looks like a cataract, from before her previous owner acquired her, apparently. It doesn't bother her, and she can see out of the eye even though it's on her pupil. When I bring her to the vet next week, should I make sure it gets thoroughly checked out, or is it a negligible problem from her past?

Last edited:
What kind of feed do you have them on? It looks like one of the types with treats in it.. They should be getting a pellet only feed. Acceptable ones being Mazuri, Oxbow, and some rabbit pellets (Purina Rabbit Chow Show, Tradition)

They are very lovely...
Personally I would not put Ivan with dad in March, even if he is young and not at the age of puberty, that is two males in one cage with a female in the surroundings therefore the risk of another fight even if it is his kit.
I would prepare for individual cages for each male. Once the female has weaned the possible kits coming in march and are in different cages from mom. (You can keep the female kits with her).
Only then would I think of slowly reintroducing her male (neutured) back to her and her female kits.

I agree with the FN's. You will be well served with those.

I may be misreading the housing but be sure Ivan is weaned from mom...male kits should be removed at 6-8weeks, ideally and no later than 10 weeks - male and female chins do not understand they should not breed with relatives. I would also say that the feed should be changed...I feed PANR and really like it but their are others that are good as well.

I don't know where you are located to help you out with vet references - there is a state by state listing under chin health and hygeine I believe. Keep looking you can find a good one out there. Once you find one that is familiar with chins you can have them take a look at the eye.

Tiedyed chin is funny - they dont really need those mineral chews though, just good pellets, timothy hay and filtered water.

For the rattling, does he have a wheel in his cage? That might cut down on the rattling if he has an outlet for his energy...

Welcome, sorry for your loss and I hate that you had to learn the hard way about fighting...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a pair of boys that I was chin sitting one turn on and killed the other without any previous warning. It was devastating.

:cry3:I put the ledges in the exact middle, and covered the space between with a thick cardboard box, which had a 2 inch lip, Orson used it for his potty, and I put his marble slab on there so that he couldn't get down from the top half, and Mork couldn't get up from the bottom half.
Cardboard is not a good barrier. You will need to either create a full wood or metal shelf to separate the cage for future use.

Welcome to CnH! I'm sorry for your loss.

I definitely agree a FN cage is ideal but they tend to expensive but check out craigslist, hobbly, Petsmart...other people probably have other places to add but when a deal comes don't hesitate because it will be gone in no time.

Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.
What kind of feed do you have them on? It looks like one of the types with treats in it.. They should be getting a pellet only feed. Acceptable ones being Mazuri, Oxbow, and some rabbit pellets (Purina Rabbit Chow Show, Tradition)
They were on a pellet feed from I think Science diet in that picture, but all it had was pellets and then those orange mock-carrots, which they didn't eat (haha, they picked them out and threw them on the floor for me to pick up, typical), so all they ate were the pellets. They are now on a rabbit pellet--I forget the name.
Personally I would not put Ivan with dad in March, even if he is young and not at the age of puberty, that is two males in one cage with a female in the surroundings therefore the risk of another fight even if it is his kit.
Oh, duh, great suggestion! I will definitely get a FN cage by March 1st so that Ivan and Rodya will have separate cages. Do they have large FN cages that split into 4? Or is it just the one split in two?
Tiedyed chin is funny - they dont really need those mineral chews though, just good pellets, timothy hay and filtered water.
For the rattling, does he have a wheel in his cage? That might cut down on the rattling if he has an outlet for his energy...
The mineral chew picture was December, before I knew not to give them the chews. He didn't eat much of it anyway, just chewed it to dust and rolled in it until he got that look ;)
I don't have a wheel for him, but I will definitely get him one. When I first got Rodya and Sonya, they didn't have a wheel so I bought them one, and they didn't know how to use it, and never learned, so I took it back. A few months later when I got Mork and Orson, I forgot to get wheels for them; they're younger, I assume Rodya and Sonya wouldn't go on the wheel because they are so old and have never had one...but I have been thinking about getting one for them anyway and leaving it in the cage for a month until they figure it out or something.
Cardboard is not a good barrier. You will need to either create a full wood or metal shelf to separate the cage for future use.
Thank you. Yes, I realize my mistake now. There were only about 2 inches by 1 foot of cardboard that wasn't blocked by something else (the rest of the cardboard was either on top of wood shelves, or underneath a 4lb marble cooling slab), bur obviously that was enough. I don't think I will be housing any chins in makeshift doubles in the future, period, so there shouldn't be any worries here.

Latest posts

Back