Female pairs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyGirl

Animal Lover
I was going to get a cage friend for my female chinchilla and was planning to get another female. The only thing is the lady from pet smart said females don't get along as well as two males or a male and a female. She said females would probably end up fighting in the end and I'd have to seperate them. Is this true? Should I get a male and have him neutered or is a female ok?

Unfortunately, it depends and I wouldn't recommend getting a male to neuter. Even if the male was neutered, its not guaranteed they'd get along. How old is your current chinchilla?

I really depends on the individual chinchilla. Weather female and female or female and neutered male there is no guarantee they will get along and in the end you may end up with 2 cage if they don't get along. I would agree with Javachin and not recommend a male even if neutered.

If example helps at all, I have two female pairs and they get along fine. Of course, they were already bonded when I got them. I heard somewhere that female/female is a little harder to bond, but overall it seems like all chins are hit or miss when it comes to bonding or staying bonded. It's up to the chins and their mood swings lol

I have 2 separate bonded pairs, 2males and 2 females, my girls seem to be more bonded than my boys, dunno whether its because my girls are still young, they will do every single thing together, they are never sleeping alone, eating alone, playing alone, they are always attached somewhere on their body, whether its heir bum, their head or their body.
My boys have been together for 8 yrs, and never had a problem (knock on wood), they are less attached to each other than my girls but I'm sure they enjoy each others company very much.

I have found it easier to bond females than males. I wouldn't get a male in your case. Just complicates things even more. Any time you are getting another chin you have to be prepared for the possibility of them not getting along.

Males, females, mixed pairs....it all just depends on their personalities.
I have two females pairs here that have been together for years and they get along great. Gird and Joon have been together for about 6 years. Joon is shy and easy going. Girdy is the opposite. She wants to visit everyone and is always trying to escape to explore new places. They do very well together.

Calpurnia and Kuiper have been together for a couple years. Cal is around 14-16 years old and would not accept another female cagemate for years so she lived alone. She started acting a bit...well, depressed so I decided to give it another shot. She and Kuiper hit if off right away and have been keeping each other company ever since. While neither of their personalities are extreme, Cal is always the first out of the cage. Ky is a bit more relaxed and sometimes won't even come out to join her.

I had two girls that had to be separated a few months ago because one of the girls was just a bully...they didn't fight, but she was picking on her younger sister all the time. They had been together for several months without issue then Lina just decided she didn't really want Kiwi around.

So it all just depends. Like us, they have their own preferences and may change their mind at any time. If you do get another chinchilla, plan for them to live in two cages should things not work out.

I've always thought that females were more accepting of other females. There are exceptions, but I think that the woman at petsmart doesn't have a lot of chinchilla experience to be giving you advice like that. Males and females can have serious issues, males can be very hormonal at a young age and can fight...but females generally get along after they have been introduced and quickly become inseparable in most cases (there are exceptions to this, of course.)

Around here I tend to have more single males because they won't get along with others than single females. I'd recommend getting a female before ever thinking of putting your girl with a male. I have far more problems with male and female pairs getting along than with same sex pairs.

A perfect offer came up to get a male.. So I got him. You guys are worrying me. Will they be ok together? My mom thought the pet store lady was right. I hope Hank and Dustie will be ok together.. It sounds like it just depends on their personalities. I hope that's true. Thanks for replying.

Why would you put a male and female together that you know nothing about their history? That's irresponsible breeding. Even if you get him neutered you need to keep them separate for about 6 weeks after it anyway.

I know I need to keep them separated after the neutering. I rescued the chin because I wanted him to have a better life. I am not breeding them.

Well I guess all I can say is good luck. I don't think your chin needed a friend so bad that you needed to jump on getting a male just to put him through a risky surgery. I wish you had waited for a female so that you would not have to worry about any of this. Good luck. I hope they bond and I hope they get along great. I hope your male makes it through surgery ok as well. Good luck to you.

The neutering surgery isn't so risky (there is always a risk) IF you have a chin competent vet that knows how to neuter a chin PROPERLY. Be prepare however that you might have to hand feed him for a few days after surgery because he will be in pain.

If you get this chin neutered, he needs to stay separated from the female for a month or more. Just because a male is neutered it doesn't mean that he won't be able to impregnate a female...it takes some time to ensure that he no longer has any viable sperm left in his system.

I agree with Zion, it's not that the surgery is so outrageously risky, it's finding a competent vet to perform it. When performed by a competent vet there is very little risk, for example Lynn and the Chins has had all of hers neutered without complications.

My boys were neutered 8 yrs ago, they both came out fine from the op, but Gumby decided to stop eating and I had to hand feed him for about 2 weeks.

Back