Feline Pine?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyjre

I was just wondering if the Feline Pine.. Pine pellet bedding was okay for the chins. I HATE shavings and would love to totally get away from them if possible.

It works alright if you use cages that have wire floors, but if the chins are right in the litter it won't work out very well. You could put it in a little litter pan and it could work...it just wouldn't work that well if you are putting it in a pan that a chin can run through. It would probably scatter out of the cage. It definitely wouldn't stay put enough to absorb in a certain place unless you filled up the pan with it and that could get very expensive over time since you'd probably have to use quite a bit (one of the smaller bags at a time?)

I used it years ago but I do have the wire floors and it was very absorbent. It just got so expensive and I just switched completely to pine shavings.

The other thing is that I don't know if it would be safe if a chin were to eat it. It swells when it gets wet. If a chin ingested some, would it swell in the chin's stomach?

I'm not concerned about the price really as I use fleece liners and just have the litter pans. My concern was the same as yours really just would they eat it and would it do any damage. I would think that the Stomach should break it down just like it would any other wood. It's 100% kd pine with no additives. lol it would be sooo much nicer and way more clean!! But not worth it at all if there is any risk to their health.

The problem is how it expands when it gets wet. I'm sure that a little wood wouldn't hurt should a chin ingest it, but the feline pine is compressed and wouldn't at all be the same as just chewing on a pine shelf. You can try it, but if the chins eat it don't use it anymore. Maybe put it under some pine shavings or whatever other bedding they are used to and aren't inclined to eat?

lol if it looks like wood or smells like wood my girls are inclined to eat it. My boyfriend is just going to make me some racks to go inside my lil litter pans to control the shavings a bit more and i'm gonna stick with them. No desire to risk my girls in any way.

Latest posts

Back