Feel Like I am being unfair, Should I split cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLADYA

Please excuse the long post I just want to make sure I tell all of the story,

Hi I have 2 female chins. The first one was a gift and I became quickly attached. I started reading any and every article I could about chinchillas.
I even opened up a savings account once I found out that they are exotic pets and should see a vet that has training with them. I was scared that one day something may happen and Izzy would need to see a vet and I had read horror stories about people claiming their chin was suffering and they could not afford a vet so they were letting them suffer. I am not rich but I surely will not allow that to happen, So I took 750.00 from my actual savings and opened a chin emergency account that I add a little to every other week.

I thought I was doing it all right. Until I came to see a critter nation cage online that I thought my Izzy would love. Double doors at the top and double doors at the bottom I think i was more excited than she would ever be..

Shortly after purchasing this cage my daughter comes telling me about this chin at the pet store she stops in after school. So I proceeded to go buy a new cage and all she would need and bring her home.

I know I should have gotten another one from a breeder and not a pet store but I did not know until after the fact. So now here is my problem. It has been 2 weeks and I have let Zorra the new one out in the play pen and Izzy and her run and play and sniff through the little bars , But I have tried twice to introduce and it ends with Izzy chasing Zorra and Zorra being scared and then they start to act like they are going to fight I stop it it before it gets there. Except this last time I noticed Zorra released fur.. So I am preparing for the fact they may never get along. I have had their cages side by side for 2 weeks.

I want to give it another week and have them switch in and out of each others cage. If for some reason it comes down to the fact that this will not be a possible friendship. Would it cause trauma to Izzy if I were to put split the cage. Meaning the critter nation cage has a ramp that you can close to separate the bottom from the top making it into 2 cages. Its called the Midwest critter nation model 162.. I just feel like my new chin Zorra is sitting there wondering why Izzy gets such a huge cage and hers is not . But I do not have room for 2 huge cages. As of now Izzy only comes to the bottom to get to her feed bowl which I could move to the top. Please someone tell me what to do cause I feel like I am being unfair :unsure:

small-animals-1

That is part of the reason I got CritterNation 162, because even though my girls have been together for awhile, anything can happen. So use the ramp but something over it like a chinchiller or put the cover that comes with it on the ramp and secure it by putting a hole where the hook is. With the cover it will prevent caught feet and any harmful contact through the bars. Jus keep up the good work. I'm not too experienced with that type of stuff but I'm sure the chin whisperers can chime in here.

Last edited:
Splitting the cage isn't a problem. The chin won't care. Its what works for you. I have large cages with colonies and small cages for single chins. Half of a critter nation is more than large enough to happily house a single chinchilla.

Thank you for your responses...I am so attached to these girls. Every day they give me a something new to laugh about..

Back