Favorite Chin Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also switched to rosehips, not going over too well but hopefully they'll pick up on them.

Mine also aren't huge fans of rosehips, but I've noticed that if I just don't give rose hips to them for like two weeks they gobble them up. If your going to give treats I'd get a variety of healthy ones just because some chins can get bored of repeated stuff. I have to switch between two feeds every other month because I have an extremely picky chinchilla.

Okay thanks Crysta I was wondering.

And Mt. Zion I threw the old feed out, right with the stupid dandelion drops. I really do think some pet stores are anti-chinchilla. Theres a pet store nearby that asks $250 for a standard chin, and then recommend feeding Charlie Chinchilla and treats.

My boys do seem to like rolled oats, I feed them about three oats in an open hand and they gobble them up.

Bells currently gets Cherrios and an occasional rose hip. She goes after both very enthusiastically.

I'm trying to figure out some healthy and appropriate treat alternatives, so I'll keep a close eye on this thread. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Another plug for Crysta's Chinnie salad, rosehips and Critter Cookies! Annabelle knows what the bag sounds like, and when I come down the hall she's hanging on the bars of her cage. She also loves pinches of plain oatmeal, Cheerios, and unfrosted Shredded wheat. She's a huge fan of cottonwood sticks and apple wood chips- but not apple wood sticks- weirdo! We vary things here too, to prevent boredom, but she's such a piglet I'm not sure she'd ever get bored eating. :nod:

Yet another plug for the Salad I buy it for all my rodents and once they see the bag I have all the chinnys begging(says alot Snow hates, hates anything that isnt pellets or hay). Guinea Pig squeals and rats flip for it. It smells great and it has everything I have looked for in the stores right in a neat package. My boys love anything I give them but Cheerios are a big hit all except one, Jose needed some Bene-bac for a slight infection/Baytril so I was putting it on the Cheerios now he inspects every one I give him to make sure it doesnt have any yucky stuff on it, if he even thinks it does he throws right at me!:)

Crash is on-again-off-again with rose hips, but never says no to a half a shredded wheat square. He's also enjoying the heck out of the Equine Senior Ronda sent in my wood order. He gets 1 pellet of that every 4-6 days. His absolute favorite is rolled oats, though.

I'm going to have a hard time not overtreating the new boys when they get here. Since they're with a breeder, they don't get food treats at all, so it's going to be fun to see them figure out what a shreddie is and how to crack open a rose hip and not get those hairy things stuck on their lips.

My boys go nuts for shredded wheats. They all have a habit of dropping the one they have to try and get two. Sneaky. Very sneaky. They also love rosehips, but Shadow and Teddy have to have the empty ones while Moche and Syd like them whole. Cheerios are a big hit too. All sticks are good, but apple is the absolute FAVORITE.

I like to hide Pebbles treats in a coconut hay holder (the one QMC was selling). I put either a rosehip, small piece of a chin cookie, one cherrio, small piece of wheat pasta, small piece of shredded wheat, or a golgi (spelling?) berry in there (I like to mix it up). Pebbles has caught on pretty quick lol so she is always checks the coconut after I've been messing in her cage :) If she doesn't find a treat in the coconut she will nudge my hand or stick her nose through the bars on her cage while hanging on with her little feet and pretend that she is starving! Chins are hilarious!!!!

Gulliver loves rosehips, but his favorite treat by far is free time and he can never get enough of it. 3 hours of running around in the living room/dining room/staircase combined? More!

He'll nearly climb the wall of his Ferret Nation for a rosehip, but if the door's open he'll run right past it without a second thought so he can go bound around the living room.

Back