Eye Ulcer question! for a dog...what to do...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabou

mommy of Kahlua and Pedro
My dog is a 16 years old Pekignese...he's been living a healthy life for all these years, but 2-3 weeks ago he seemed to have a problem with his eye. We put a drop of milk everytime we could, but it was painful to him and he wouldn't let us do it most of the time...last week, he grew an ulcer in his eye, so we took him to the vet as soon as we could... Vet said we had to give him atropine drops and and antibiotic eye ointment, but we can't get close to his eyes cause he barks, cries and tries to bite. It's really painful to him and he keeps wandering around the house, crying, bumping into stuff cause he keeps his eyes shut...

I don't know what to do... he finally fell asleep after wandering around, crying for almost 3hours... anyone know what we should do? Of course we'll take him back to the vet...but still...meanwhile...

Aww I have a pekingese, she's 5. To get him to calm down to give him the eye ointment have you tried throwing a towel or blanket on him? I don't know about your dog but my dog instantly calms down when I do that. I imagine once the ulcer is gone he wont be crying and bumping into things as much. What does the milk do? I've never heard of this but then again my girl's eye is pretty healthy; the only problem she has with her eye is that she will sometimes get a hair in her eye but she always ends up blinking it away.

Aww I have a pekingese, she's 5. To get him to calm down to give him the eye ointment have you tried throwing a towel or blanket on him? I don't know about your dog but my dog instantly calms down when I do that. I imagine once the ulcer is gone he wont be crying and bumping into things as much. What does the milk do? I've never heard of this but then again my girl's eye is pretty healthy; the only problem she has with her eye is that she will sometimes get a hair in her eye but she always ends up blinking it away.

Hehe indeed that happens a lot, but my dog is old, so that's th ereason for the ulcer. But I was able to reach my vet and another one, Advils are toxic to dogs and Tylenols to cats. Aspirins are okay, but for a pekignese, maximum 50mg per day. But yeah, I tried to burrito him but it didn't work to calm him down, cause his eyes hurt too much. He's a bit better now though, with my parents being more able than me to hold him down. :)

Back