Eye Troubles

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped giving the eye drops and ointment Monday evening and his eye is staying open and no signs of puss yet.

This morning however I noticed none of his pellets seem to be gone, he did drink some water, and it's hard to tell if he ate any hay or just pulled it all out. There were only about 10-15 poops in his cage and they were all about half the normal size.

The earliest the vet can see him is tomorrow, so I will pick up some digestive support treats since I don't think the probiotics over his pellets will help if he did not eat any last night?

If he's not eating then he'll need force feeding with critical care... start ASAP.

Use the forum search option for tips on how to do the "burrito" for a safe way to restrain your chin while feeding.

Great news! <3

Hammond saw the vet yesterday at 4pm after he alarmingly had no poop in his cage in the morning. A full exam was completed and constipation was ruled out. The vet suggested after much thought to simply offer a different food to see if he was just being picky.

He normally eats Oxbow pellets and I knew I didn't have many great options at Petco or PetSmart, but I picked up sunseed vita prima and picked out all the extra objects. Sure enough last night he ate some pellets almost immediately when I placed his bowl in the cage. He picks out the oxbow pellets and tosses them on the floor to find the other kind. He has always been on the oxbow...not sure why he has a sudden disinterest in it?

I have never been so excited to see poops all over his cage I ran and grabbed my boyfriend to show him which is hilarious in hind sight that we are celebrating poop! Now that he is active tonight they are back and full size! Going to try ordering some matzuri pellets to give them a try unless anyone else has a good suggestion of a food to try? His eye still looks great as well - starting to look like a real chinchilla again!

Latest posts

Back