eye trouble in my chinny.... =(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marni-Beth

hello my chinny Cotton/snow white ( I let my daughter name her lol) just started having an issue with her right eye today will be the third day... last night i noticed it was matted shut with goop so i took a warm compress to it and cleared the goop and she was able to open it somewhat but it was still not open the whole way and when i cleared the goop it was pretty pink/red around her eye... she is def not acting the same she is usually bouny but has been sleeping alot... she is still eating though has been eating alot of hay but she seems to want me to give it to her but she will eat her pellets herself from the dish.... I did call the vet today and they would like to check her out but cant get her in until monday =( so im kinda at a lose as of to what i should do until then... I noticed when i did get the goop from her eye she gave me lots of kisses =) and was a bit more active... she has been drinking to even if its herslf or with me giving her water from a syringe.... I also wondered if putting a warm compress and some saline in her eye will hurt her until it is vet time.... although i know i said monday the lady said she may be able to get me in tommorrow if they arent too busy..... please any advice i am very open to..... and i have disinfected her cage very very well...

thanks so much.... i have a pic in my email if anyone wants to see if that might help...

You may want to avoid the kisses until you get a diagnosis. Chinchillas can get conjunctivitis (pink eye) and spread it to other animals/people. If it is pink eye you may want to treat your self for it as well. I'm definitely not diagnosing your chin, you should still take her to the vet of course. Make sure you wash your hands after handling her. I hope they can get you in tomorrow so she doesn't have to suffer with it all weekend :(

thank you

I am almost thinking that is what it is im not a vet though i also hope she can get seen tomorrrow she just got done eating and drinking so im glad she is still doing that seems to be chewing fine on both sides and i noticed today she was chewing on her apple wood sticks for a good hr.... thanks again is it ok to do a warm compress if i cant get her to the vet just to loosen that goop... it almost looks like the same color as when a person gets pink eye.... i'll just see when the vet says and im sure she will get started on an antibiotic

I would press your vet to see her tomorrow. An eye infection could get really serious if you let it fester over the weekend. If your vet can't see you, maybe you can find another vet locally who can fit her in.

just wanted to touch base the vet cant see me today there super backed up and there isnt any other around where i live that i have found.... but her eye isnt as bad less goop and not a pink...i have been cleaning the goop for her as she does let me i isolated her from her cage mate :( there both sad... but i know it needed to be done as she does have pink eye and i wouldnt want to spread it to her mate i disinfected ther whole cage... but in the mean time anything i cant do please feel free to share your advice.... she is def eating and drinking like crazy... ;)

i have a chinny with chronic eye problems. at the first sign of goop in the eye or any debris in the eye what i do is flush her eye/eyes with saline or eye drops. if the eye look infected or some other major problem i promptly take her in to the vet.

i found that flushing/ putting drops in the eye until i can get the chinny to the vet does seem to give them some relief if the eye is realy irritating to them.

separating the chinnys is an important but can be stress full and upsetting for everyone involved. i usualy feel horrible when i have to do it. but the alternative is much worse then separating chinnys for a bit.

i hope the chinny gets better soon.

what kind of eye drops do you use on your chinny like brand wise i know from the vet im sure just curious.... I have drops from when i had an eye infection that have never been touched im sure that isnt the same though wasnt sure if i could cut them with anything or not plus im sure they have steroids in them and i also assume not good idea.... Im sure animal drops are differnt then human... I was just curious

i use regular over the counter human eye drops on my chinnies if they get something in their eye.

for infections i dont actualy remember what the vet gave me. i got rid of the empty bttle a while ago sorry.

i wouldnt use your infection eye drops on a chinny im sure the medication needed is different

My male chinchilla Pablo had a pretty bad eye infection when he was younger His eye would be sealed shut with crusties every morning and I would open it up by just using a q-tip and warm water and just gently try to ease it open. He had a very pink eye as well when it finally would open. After a few mornings he eventually fought it off and hasn't had an eye infection since then. This was about 6 months ago. As long has the chin is eating, drinking, and energized I wouldn't worry about it. The vet will probably give the chin some antibiotics because it can be contagious to people if it is indeed pink eye, and to speed up the recovery. Pablo would do the same thing, only eat out of my hand and a lethargic, and I think it was just because he was frightened because he couldn't completely see out of one eye.

Back