Eye issue/vet advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublime5981

Serenity Chinchillas
Pinball seems to have an eye infection/irritation. I noticed last night that her eye was watering and had white gunk in the front corner. It was obviously bothering her because, she was squinting and blinking that eye. This morning I didn't see any white gunk but, it seemed to still bother her. I would assume that this is something any vet can handle as it doesn't seem to be a chin specific issue. Any thoughts?
ETA: Didn't CnQ used to have a safe/unsafe medication list? Did anyone recreate that here or know where I can find it?

Last edited:
Gentamycin is the most accepted eye drop or ointment for chins. Make sure whatever vet you take the chin to does not prescribe anything with steroids in it.

I just read on chincare that white discharge doesn't always mean infection. If flushing is all that is needed improvement will be seen within 24 hrs.

Do you think I should try to flush it and see if it improves or just take her in to get meds? If it is an infection I don't want to have to wait until Monday to start treating it and it won't hurt to have on hand anyway.

it is better to be safe than sorry..........if you have the money and a good chin vet close to you than go for it.

are you sure she didnt get dust or something in her eye? this happened to my chins once. I got one of those round cotton makeup remover pads (its like a flat cottonball) and put luke warm water on it and rubbed over the irritated eye.

it just stinks that it is friday because if you tried to do the wait and see for a day to see if wiping it would improve than if it was an infection you wasted 3 days.

Yeah, no chin vet anywhere close. I'm in the black hole of America. I have also dealt with eye irritation before. There was no scratch but, they still gave me meds(think it was tetramycin) just in case.
I'm just gonna take her to the local vet and make sure it isn't scratched or infected. I'd rather be proactive than reactive.

I would have it checked out also. Personally-I would specifically ask for eye drops. When you use ointment it really messes up their fur and collects dust/shavings causing more irritation. Just my opinion though.

Latest posts

Back