Extreme aversion to litter training

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokorobosoi

So I've noticed my pair of girls refuse to pick a corner. So I thought they were going in all corners. I put a unscented wee pad under a secured fleece just to see if they preferred an area.... And this is what I found
2daedd2440f09d0e5fa37db3bd675986.jpg

Putting hay down doesn't work. Not their house, strategic food, water placement- nothing. They lost their chin spin cause they would pee in it then run. Has anyone dealt with a chin that would pee absolutely everywhere without any regard to their hay? At a bit of a loss. I tried changing the pan- didn't help.

Any ideas? Or am I just out of luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some chins just don't want to be potty trained I think. My two boys will literally just take a couple steps from where ever they happen to be and pee. Luckily they only will pee in their cage, if it's available they will hop back in the cage to pee. When playing in the other room though they pee in any box or hiding place they can find if I leave them out too long.
If you are willing to take the time to try, one way to litter train them is to cover the whole floor with shavings. Then over time cover less and less of the floor with shavings, leaving some of the soil bedding in. They will hopefully just move with the shavings to only pee in the area with shavings. Eventually (it can take weeks to months) you should be able to just have a litter pan that they pee in. The only issue with that plan is you will have to get metal pans (as I see you are using the ones that came with the cage) since you don't want them chewing on the plastic and the plastic pans are too shallow to hold bedding well.
Personally I just gave up (after only a couple weeks) and just wash my fleece liners more often. I made my own matching sets (hammocks and pan liners) and just change all the fleece items each time.

Also putting hay on the floor is not going to work, in most chin's mind hay on the floor is dirty and no longer food.

Thanks for the response. I figured hay on the floor couldn't hurt so why not give it a try? Now I know my answer. I've done the bedding technique with another chin- these girls are just exceptionally stubborn. What worried me the most I think is the wheel peeing. They ended up coming off the wheel covered. In my experience chins are more fastidious than that.

Maybe I will try the shavings idea, yes I'll need to change out the pan- these girls don't touch the fleece over the pans so I felt no need to replace them yet. But it's time now. Thanks for the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back