exactly what wood do i need to get

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm4k

OK, I'm tired of searching and making wrong choices. I got select pine from home depot. Guy said it was a white pine, so OK. That's what I needed. Now I look at it on their website and that says Douglas fir which is toxic. Hopefully that's what has been making Rory a little sick.

Now my question is what exactly should I buy when I go to Lowes? Plz help I'm running out of money. I'm building shelves and things.

Select Pine is not Douglas Fir. It is pine. The select pine from Lowe's is kiln dried and fine for your chinchilla. It should have a tag on either end indicating what type of wood it is and that it is kiln dried, or KD.

You will hear differing opinions on Douglas Fir. I believe the forum's wood list shows that Douglas Fir is a safe wood? I do know of people who have used it for shelves and building hidey houses with no problems.

Here is the list: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34

Last edited:
so even if it is yellow KD pine? I remember reading somewhere that it had to be white. I know not to get treated stuff.

Back