Especially Stained Tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
Leeloo is a pink white, so always has some staining of her fur, but yesterday while I was putting them back in their cage after playtime I noticed her bottom is wet and a lot yellower than usual. She is very skittish, do chins wet themselves or anything? She and Miette are both going to the vet soon, mostly for Miette's bumblefoot but Leeloo gets a checkup every time as well since she tags along. It doesn't look like a uterine infection *cross fingers*, any ideas?

Is she in a solid bottom cage or one with a wire floor? I have a female in a solid bottom cage that sits in the dirty spot and always has a off colored tail. Try cleaning her or a extra dusting.

Once you're done with the baby wipes, dry her completely and give her a dust bath. You can add cornstarch to the dust to help get rid of the stains. You may need to do this more than once.

Totally out in left field, but just in case.......

The last pink white we had in as a rescue kept getting very stained on her bottom. After weeks of trying to see what the problem was my husband was cleaning the cage and found the answer.

She had a favorite wooden ledge that had the water bottle hanging above it. Any drips from the bottle caused the wood/bark to give off a little natural color. We were surprised to see that only one drip of water would cause the perch to give off color, as we only buy products from members here. That natural color looked a lot like bad urine stains on her fur.

We replaced the ledge and the problem solved itself.

Back