Elk antler chew?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic_FROST

A friend of mine owns a herd of elk. She just gave me a couple sheds for the dogs, (they are great for them) but I was wondering if a chin could gnaw on them too?

If it matters any, the herd its completely certified organic. The antler its dry, very tough, and hard.

I don't know if you'd have to worry about the calcium content. People give cuddlebones to chins and they don't cause too much of a problem with that because most of it crumbles away. What is the main ingredient in antlers? Is it calcium or is it a protein? This is something I shall look up. ;)

They are great for dogs, that's for sure. I've given them to my dogs as a special fun toy...and they love them. I don't know if they would be so hard that the chins would quickly lose interest in them or not. It could definitely be an idea for pieces on maybe a hanging toy...or (is this possible) maybe some perches perhaps? I am assuming that it can be drilled without coming apart. :)

Ooooh. Please do let me know what your research turns up! I could easily do an antler perch if it was safe.

Both are right, 60% protein, 30% CA 10% P, I would worry about splintering and problems with that more so that the ingestion of the protein and CA:p.

I think someone has to try it and keep a close eye on the chins. Splintering can be an issue for sure...or if it flakes off funny. You know, with the dogs I didn't notice anything like that. It seemed to wear off as they would chew it...maybe come off in smallish chunks...not really any splintering. The chins chew things differently than a dog would, of course, so it may be different.

I was look at the composition of the antlers online and it does seem that for all parts of the antler it's mostly protein. With chins I don't know if they could even process that type of protein with the weaker stomach acid concentration so they may not even be able to digest it and the small pieces would probably just go right through them.

I'd really like to see how the chins chew at them and how they wear before I could really feel totally safe with them. You know?

After the multitude of issues I have had with mine, my curiosity to try something new has been snuffed out, they will not be trying antlers!

i would definitely say no to horse hoof trimmings. think about it, horses walk in dirt and muck all day, and the hoof is a semi porous part of their anatomy. porous and semi porous materials are very hard to sanitize. think about all the bacteria that would be in that hoof trimming....... yuck!

Back