Electrocuted

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperblue8

I'm not really sure this is an emergency but..My chinchilla managed to get to a power cable, he got a very powerful shock. All the things in the house running from a power socket went out and there was a loud bang and flash, somehow he survived... He seems fine, eating , drinking, chewing, but I'm very worried about his teeth. Ive just seen his top teeth one was orange which I know to be the correct colour and one white but his gums looked black as best i could see anyway. I'm unsure as to whether I should take him to the vet or not???

Thanks

I would ere on the side of caution and take the chin to the vet to get him checked out. Also, re-chin proof your room and make sure that your chin is supervised when out of his cage.

If he bit into the cord hard enough for there to be a flash and loud bang, I'm pretty sure I'd be headed to the vet. Chinchillas are prey animals and hide pain, illness and injury pretty well - usually until it's too late to do anything.

That is frightening! He probably got his mouth scorched pretty bad. You have to be really careful with chins and electricity. Hopefully he'll be fine, but you just never know. I'd probably head off to the vet for a check up just to make sure that he is alright. Have a vet listen to his heart and make sure that he's okay. With any animal or human electricity can cause some serious issues. You will feel a lot better if you get him checked over. He will probably be just fine though, especially because he's eating and acting normally.

Absolutely get to the vet. There can be very bad burns inside his mouth.

Good luck - I hope he's okay.

Yes, a vet is needed for a full exam. I was shocked/burned by a stove, the burn traveled from my hand which was holding the fork and exited my stomach. Heat, pain and burning all the way.

Took him to the vet, fortunately (other than his front teeth turning black which just wiped off) the vet said he had miraculously come out completely uninjured teeth, mouth and all :D

Thanks for all your advice!

Happy everything turned out ok, good idea taking the advice and getting him to the vet.

I'm so glad this wasn't a horrible lesson for you. That is such great news! Remind your chinnie that cords are not for chewing on since it would be asking a bit much that he would be lucky a second time. Thank you for the update!

Glad to hear the litte guy is okay. They are so quick and can chew through a wire in the blink of an eye.

Happy to hear all is fine.

Glad everything turned out okay.

You can get cord covers to help prevent him from getting to the cord itself to avoid getting electrocuted again, however, you don't want to allow him to chew the cord cover either as they are plastic.

Yeah, I've seen them, i got some copper tubing and have put that over the power cable now though... seems to work well...

Latest posts

Back