Ebony girl!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia

I recently got a beautiful female ebony chin! I got her on May 4th, known as Star wars day. :)
I've decided to name her Aayla, after Aayla Secura from the Star wars Clone wars tv series. I thought it was only fitting!
She's from Craigslist, but seems in good health. Her fur is a bit matted which has already started looking better with a few dust baths. I was told she is about 10 months old, which seems odd for as big of a girl she is...maybe I can get some opinions?
She's a bit flighty with handing so I'm just taking it slow with her. She's bit me several times almost drawing blood. I'm hoping she will improve with time. She does seem to love head scratches.
Her cage is a ferret nation. I've ordered some wooden ledges and a few other things from tj's chin supplies that I'm waiting on. (The plastic igloo will go when I receive them, she only jumps on it anyway.) Critiquing on her setup is appreciated!

zu2ezysu.jpg

dusy3y7y.jpg

8y4u2a3e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Aww..she's a beauty. Give her more time to settle in. You're doing good if she allows you to give head rubs.

She's gorgeous! I'd replace that leopard hammock though. I had the exact one and they told me on this forum that these are for ferrets and NOT chin safe as they can chew the stitching thread off and could possible kill them if it get's lodged in their GI tract.

Few more pictures, as well as one of her cage. I was going to ask what priming was, but a quick Google search gave me that answer. That makes sense!
zutyqama.jpg

ytynujep.jpg

zahazudy.jpg

she's beautiful. I never noticed how much a chins little hands stand out in contrast to the ebony fur, so cute.

Lol I love the name. As a fellow Star Wars fan I love that her birthday is May the Fourth. All of our chins also have Star Wars names, and we also have an Aayla. Ours in a beautiful white mosaic. If you ever need chew sticks, houses, or more ledges just let me know. May the force be with you, always.

Thanks so much! That's awesome that you also have an Aayla. :)
Since I'm going to be taking out the hammock (definitely can see what you mean about them chewing the seams) I may need a couple more ledges. I ordered two, would that be enough?

What a pretty girl! I wouldn't think much on her size vs age. Some chins get very large, very quickly. As someone else mentioned, the ferret hammock can be dangerous for her, and I'd also personally get rid of the plastic house as chewing plastic is not good for chins. There are tons of cute, fun fleece houses you can get from people on these forums! I definitely recommend one of the fleece houses :) And they make the fleece hammocks as well! Good luck!

Oh my goodness I love her!

Thanks everyone! I ordered two wooden ledges, but should I get more? Especially now since I'll be taking the hammock out (already planned on taking out the plastic house once the lefges arrive). Guess I need a fleece house too! haha

Thanks everyone! I will be taking the plastic house and hammock out. I'm also ordering a full fleece set from fleece for furries! 2 liners, tube, hanging house, hammock and hay bag. I have two wooden ledges on the way soon, should I need more than two?

I somehow keep making multiple posts...if a mod can delete the multiples, not sure how.

If you hit "edit" for your own post, you then have an option to delete it.

Aayla is gorgeous, and I love that her "gotcha day" inspired her name! You should soooo nominate that beauty for Pet of the Day, you have such nice photos of her!

I wouldn't say you *need* any certain number of ledges, but certainly the more you have, the more places she has to jump around on :thumbsup: I use Fleece for Furries (she has a facebook page and is Shooper on here) for my houses and hammocks. Very good quality, large houses, and good prices. Definitely recommended!

Back