Ebony carrier

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

Do you consider everything born from an ebony a carrier? Yesterday I got 2 standards out of a beige mom and a medium eb dad. Lucky me, I was crossing my fingers for tans..... :wacko:

My first thought was "yes", but to be sure, I checked with the 'chin cross calculator' at Silverfall Chinchillas in Michigan.
Says 'no' as far as carriers.
Have fun with that websight!

Yeah but that calculator is not always right regarding ebony I think. That's what I was told.

I mark them if I keep them for breeding, otherwise they are shown or sold as whatever color they are at the time.

Most breeders who buy for breeding will ask if a chin has ebony in it's background or look at the pedigree. Pet people don't care. :))

I say yes. I would always ask if there's ebony in the background, but I think it should be noted anyway.
I've heard people refer to Danko (I think that's the name) lines of standards having ebonies in the background way back when and having a sudden eb or dirty belly pop up. Can someone provide more detail on that?

I would at least make a note of it as a possible e/c. It may not show it phenotypically but it could potentially pass it onto its offspring.

When breeding white-bellied animals, the last thing you want is dirty-bellied babies popping up because there was ebony a couple generations ago that wasn't noted on the pedigree.

Yeah it was for personal info or if I were to sell it to someone who planned to breed the kits. Thanks a lot, that's what I thought.

Back