Ears folded over

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nibblesmama

The tips of Kimaya's ears this morning were flopped over. It was weird. She wasn't too cold, or too hot. Hubby said she was trying to fit in with the hounds. :impatient:
Anyone else seen this? I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but need reassurance. She took a bath and they were back where they should be. It was just really odd. :hmm:

Had she just woken up? When most chins sleep, their ears get floppy or red and once they wake up, it takes a while for the ears to go back to normal.

Chinchillas do tuck their ears in when they're sleeping. I have one boy who also has one floppy ear when he wakes up and it does straighten up eventually.

This is not the floppy-eared guy, it's what Pip looks like every morning when he comes out of his hidey house to say hello to me. =)

Attachments

• tucked ears.jpg
    tucked ears.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 81
I have a chin with "lazy ears" as I call them..anytime he is sleepy or for awhile after he wakes up, he will have floppy ears.

OK cool. Paranoia central over here! HAHA! Glad that it's just a "chin thing"!

Has anyone seen this when their chinchilla hadn't just woken up? The past few days, my little girl's been doing this. At first, I thought it was just because of the heat recently, but now she's doing it around play-time at night, even when the air conditioner is on.. :/

This is what Tribble looked like while he was waking up:

Attachments

• tribble.jpg
    tribble.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 36
ok pip & tribble are too cute!!

i think floppy ears or folded back ears are very common & are of little concern. what you need to look for are pink or reddish ears, that usually indicates they are too warm. unless of course you have a beige that likes to sleep on his ear and give you a darn heart attack all the time! ;)

Yeah, Lils will look like the picture of Tribble when she's sleeping/waking up. But this is different.. Just the tips of her ears have been folded over lately. And it's a good amount of the time.

I have a mosaic that has the same thing, just the tips of her ears flop forward. It makes her so cute. He daughter has it on one ear. It is just something that some of them have and it is nothing to worry about.

That is such good news! I've been scrambling to try and find her an open vet appointment with someone who sees exotics and have had no luck with finding anything soon. Thank you so much for your reply! That puts my mind at ease a lot!

Back