Dying Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelk

Posted Today, 08:25 PM

Hi Guys

Our Chinny is 9 years Old and stopped eating last week

he went in for teeth surgery on Monday to file down his molars and initially all was well and he started eating again.

Since Monday he has gone downhill very quickly - He is now no longer moving, eating, drinking and barely responding even when we open the cage and stroke him - He used to hate having his head touched and now is not responding.

He did bark and become agitated and moved when we tried to pick him up 2 hours ago - but since then he's gone back to the same spot and isn't moving again.

Is there any hope of a recovery or should we euthanize him tomorrow :(

Thanks

Michael

Once chins reach this point they are very hard to bring back unfortunately. Sorry to hear about your little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

We have just taken him to the emergency vet to get him put to sleep.
When the Vet examined him he perked up and began to struggle - she examined his heart and said he wasn't dying and we should give him a few more days.

I personally think she's wrong - but I couldn't go ahead with the euthanasia after hearing the advice -

That is tough, I'm so sorry. I will be praying for your little chin!

Do you syringe feed him? He needs to eat.
Also, you can try offering some alfalfa hay.

Hi Guys
Thanks for your comments
Sadly we have just had to have him put to sleep - He has been sleeping virtually all the time since Tuesday/Weds (shortly after his surgery) - and is now refusing all food and was sadly slipping away with no real prospect of recovery so we did the kindest thing.

We are very sorry to see him go but we have done what is best for him - I'm sure many owners reading this will have reached a point in the past when they know when it has been right to let a dying animal go and in our own mind after consultancy with the vet, we had reached that point.

As I said he was 9 years and 2 months after we brought him from a breeder in the UK.
Our other chinchilla ( bought around the same time) died after 4/5 years , again with teeth problems ( he recovered from the surgery but was never able to start eating again)

regards
Michael

I'm very sorry for your loss Michael, but you made the right decision.

Back