Dry Ears or just Sharp Toe Nails?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesame

I've been noticing that my standard chin is developing a bit of a bald spot at the back of her ears, at the base.

The rest of her ears don't seem dry or scaly and we've been cutting back on dust baths since the humidity has gone down a bit (Dust bath every 3-4 days; though, she still tries to roll on residue dust in her home on non-dust days).

She does like to itch the back of her ears, but I don't think it's been excessive itchy. I have not seen her itch the insides of her ears. Whatever short furs that are left on the back base of the ear, seem to have a combed look, which is probably due to her hind toe nails.

Should I be concerned about this growing bald spot at the back of the ear, at the base? Is this a sign of dry ears? Or a sign of something else?

Can you get a picture? That's a popular area for ringworm, especially if you've noticed it getting larger but no obvious hair loss in the cage.

Here's some pictures (hard to get a good picture):

CIMG0539.jpg

CIMG0573.jpg

CIMG0590.jpg

You can sort of see that her nails are giving that combed look to the ear hair.

Last edited:
oh, so the baldness there is normal?

Maybe I'm just imagining that the baldness spot is growing?

I would've said her ears are growing, but they're likely not at her age. I still don't think it's anything to worry about. :))

The baldness looks normal to me. But the red lines, it looks more like veins.

My chins have that when they are warm, redness and veins will appear on their ears. She looks really warm from that redness.

Yeah that particular picture was taken right towards the end of playtime. We were trying to usher her back in her home and she always does this really nutty run around the room at top speed. No matter how cold the room is, sometimes her ears get a bit pink towards the end of playtime.

Back