Drinking a lot of water ...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avecat6906

So I stopped changing my chins water every day for just a little while so that I could judge how fast they drink the whole bottle. I believe it's an 8 oz bottle and Fonzie can finish it in 2 days time. Casper takes about 4 days. Considering I read that chinchillas don't drink a lot of water .. that seems like quite a bit! Their bottles leak a tiny bit but not enough to be a problem. They are still eating plenty of pellets and hay and their poops are firm, not squishy.

So my question is: Is it possible that they just enjoy water more then some others or are they possibly sick? I'm probably being paranoid, but better safe then sorry :)) Thanks for any input!

Their drinking rates can be a factor of temperature, humidity, activity, and even just that individual chin. If they are eating, pooing, and peeing normally, then it is usually not a problem.

My boys go though 12 oz every 2 days so it is pretty variable.

Though most chin don't drink much - some do. Since they are acting normal and eating and peeing /pooping fine I would say they are ok.

Water

That sounds within acceptable range, but if they could finish whole bottle
drinking68.gif
per day like rabbit, you will want to check if there is diabetic issue.

Yeah everything else about their behavior is normal so I guess they just enjoy water haha. Thanks a bunch guys :))

Their bottles leak a tiny bit but not enough to be a problem.

Water is not good for chins fur/health at all. They don't dry like we do because their coat is so thick and are prone to skin fungus if wet. Get a new bottle/s and a backup bottle and check to make sure they work. I hve had a few new bottles that didn't. Better safe then sorry.

Yes I am aware that they cannot get wet, like I said it's not enough to be a problem lol. If it was I would take care of it. I will pick up some back-up bottles though, wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the input :))

Back