Does anyone have this shopvac?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie

I heart Leonard
My flipping shop vac died! I found this one at my local Farm & Fleet and it's on sale!

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...acuum.html?lref=/catalog/find.aspx?t=shop+vac

I'm looking at it thinking this is great for the bedroom as I don't have much room. It looks like it would fit in my corner better than the 10 gallon one I had before.

As I've now swithed away from shavings all I have to vac up is poo and some shavings that get kicked out from the litter pans. I don't think I would want to mount it on the wall as it says you can do, but I'm thinking the tall cannister as opposed to the wide cannister would work better.

It's only 5 gallons though and my old one was 10--do you think that's a con--or a pro as it's less bulky and easier to empty?

Feedback please!

Hopefully someone will have input on that. I had a tiny little 1 gallon one that I hated. It always clogged up, the hay would get stuck in between the hose and the filter where it went into the canister.

It was also so noisy!

Hopefully that one is better since it's bigger?

Tiff! you have a zillion chins I just have the 9 lol! What I like about it is the fact it's tall and skinny, not fat and round. I think it will fit better in my room. It has 4.5 horse power which is.5 more than I had before! woot!

I put that one on my Christmas list the year my ex and I got Cervantes. So, my father got excited that he got to buy me 'power tools' (I'm their only child, and a girl) and went to the store to nose around a little bit.

He ended up getting this one: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/4-Gallon-Vac/EN/index.htm and I LOVE IT! Apparently the hang up one just didn't have the suction power he thought (correctly) I'd want for getting poo out of corners and slivers out of carpet. It's slightly bulkier than the other one, but makes up for it by cleaning well and I love that the hose is 5' long instead of the 3' that most wet/dry vacs come with. This one also doubles as a light to medium duty leaf/snow blower if you swap the filter with the hose.

I had a similar one. It would clog but it worked well. Just not for the number of chinchillas I have.

If anyone has a vacuum that doesn't clog up, I'd love to know, lol. It is the strewn hay that becomes a problem for me.

I have the 3HP shop vac hang up. I thought I had done my research well before I bought it , but needless to say it DOESN'T SUCK!!!! It won't even pick up a piece of hay off of the carpet. I even built a portable stand for it and everything,but it hardly ever gets used,it just sits and collects blue cloud dust!! So I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.:hair:

I originally bought this Bissell pro model for the same reason you did - it is smaller, I could mount it in the barn and the bottom is really easy to empty. I bought it with the intent to clean cages with it. Errrr yea.

I wish I could've returned it (got it on sale at Amazon) because it can not suck up hay or anything of length, including nails. C'mon, PENNY NAILS. Anyhow, it now lives in my house as a very expensive dirt vacuum, it's quite heavy, a pain in the rear to move and the hose takes up an ungodly amount of space - almost twice what the body does. I have used it to vacuum out my car and my big 20 gallon shop vac that was cheaper sucks better.

I only have two words for house poops - DUST BUSTER. Yea, still using my seven year old one to do nightly cleanups. The little dirt devil guys on the sticks look attractive, but never tried one. You go around, suck all the little poops (and bugs), empty and put away. I even use it for my dirt piles so I don't have to pull out big ugly any more. Come to think of it, haven't used him in four months, should probably put him up for sale on craigslist. :p

I have a few shop vacs. Some big, some small but let me suggest whatever you get, get the 2.5 inch wide hose. The 'normal sized hose that usually come with them gets clogged. Some come with the wider hose, some have an attachment and you can buy the wider hose separately.

I have a rigid shop vac from Home Depot, it's like 12 gallons? Love it, don't have to empty it all that often, and things don't get clogged in the hose.

That one's at my parents house. At my place, I started out with a 1 gallon. Waste of money and always got clogged. When the motor finally burned out I got a Stanley 5 gallon shop vac. While it is better than the 1 gallon (*said in a strained manner*) it clogs over nothing! I spend more time unclogging the hose than I do vacuuming. IMO the small ones just aren't worth the trouble. I would rather have one of the larger ones taking up more room, but not having to freakin unclog the thing 10 times a day, but that's just me.

I cant find a quiet shop-vac.

I'm not sure there IS a quiet shop-vac. Even the 1 gallon I had was loud enough so that the neighbors (in the apartments below and next to me) always knew when I was using it, and the walls are reasonably thick here...

What really appeals to me about this one is that it's long and tall and I think it will fit better in my room than the 10gallon sucker I had. It also has an 18 foot hose I believe. I'm going to keep the hose from my old one though and see if it will work on it. I don't want something I don't have to empty that often as we are now on the 2nd floor and lugging the shopvac filled with hay shavings and chin poo does not sound fun at all!

The canister will fit better, but the hose will take up as much or more room as the canister. Also, if you don't mount it on a wall it is a real pain to lift off the bucket without spilling it. May be different for this one, but the 4 gallon one I have ain't no fun. Wish you were closer, I'd loan you mine for a test drive!!

Thanks Tara! I didn't think about the cord being bulky! I guess I'll just stick to what I know and get another 10 gallon sucker as all shop vac's are on sale!

Back