Do chins get angry? Can they be spiteful?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KristinC1983

I just answered a poll about hammocks and said that my boy, Sunny, peed in his once on one of the rare nights he doesn't get out of his cage. There have only been maybe 10 since I got him where I couldn't even let him out for a few minutes. Well, on those nights, his cage is destroyed in anyway possible for him to destroy it. He throws hay everywhere, pees on just about every shelf and his Chin Spin, his shavings went flying (fleece is now in his litter box-glass casserole dish), and whatever else he can get into he does. Is he just bored because he's so used to coming out every night, or is there more to it?! Is he having a tantrum?! I swear sometimes he actually looks and acts angry, and when he's in a good mood (which is the usual), it's obvious.

This is probably a silly question, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is being spiteful, that he is actually mad at me and not just bored. What do you think...or know:)

Of course they can get angry. If you've ever had a female run across her cage and pee on you while kacking and spitting, you would definitely know that without any doubt. I used to have a dog that would get mad any time I left and would poop or destroy something. Horses definitely get angry, and they don't hesitate to let you know it.

My Lenora has learned to stand up and shoot pee at me if she realizes that it is not going to be a play night. She gets me right on the hand while I am reaching in to change her food and hay.

One of my chihuahuas got very jealous when I spent a very long time in the chin room one night. When I came out she had peed on the couch cover exactly where I sit. She had never ever peed the couch before. Talk about making a statement.

My male chihuahua, Rocco, is very jeolous of my daughter. Once I brought her home, he started peeing in the house like crazy, and after 3 1/2 years, he still hasn't totally warmed up to her. I've always been his person, though, since we first got him almost 10 years ago.

I've been called stupid for this question before, and yelled at for putting human emotions on pets-not on here-on Yahoo Answers once. I never agreed with the ones who said that it isn't about anger when they do things like pee on your spot of the couch or tear apart their cage cause there's no playtime. I do believe that expecting things like morals on animals, especially wild animals, is wrong, like if a bear eats a person, they didn't do it because they're a psycho-murdering bear-they did it because it's nature and they look at us as a funny looking dog that walks and talks weird, but certain animals, I definitely believe they can be spiteful, like Sunny and Rocco, lol. Especially since I lecture them on it after words.

I once had a ferret who bit my golden retriever in his private area (both passed away a few years ago but not from this incident), and I swear the ferret hopped away, probably laughing when the dog cried and ran away, cause he made something a LOT bigger than him cry and runaway, lol-it's funny now since no one was actually hurt.

Sunny is probably the most spiteful animal (besides humans of course) that I've ever met in my life. I love the little bugger, though:)

I have a couple of boys (chins) who if THEY think it should be play time and I open the door they want out. :impatient: If I block their way with my hand they are tugging with their paws at my hand to move it out of the way. If they can't move the hand then they kinda do this thing where it looks like a bull about to charge. Basically they are flinging bedding behind them. And heaven help me if i shut the door on them. Then they pick up bedding, hay, and/or chew sticks and and angle their heads so they can make sure it gets tossed outside the cage. I think it must be in their genes. The two that do it are brothers but not housed together anymore due to aggression problems but they still have a temper tantrum individually. :tantrum:

OH yeah they can get mad and be spiteful. Sumo is the perfect example of spiteful Chin, he is ticked to no end that I had to take his cage mate out they have been together for 5 years and no kits ,then I changed their cage and lo and behold a pair of kits. They have been seperated since the kits were born in June and he still throws stuff at me when I get close to his cage and he kacks at me for no reason if he sees me he stink eyes and a gets in position to pee. I have tried to give him a cuddle buddy and he just threw it around his cage and peed on it, the other male I have hates Sumo so they are all in seperate cages. So my lesson is learned Snow and Sumo cant be in a cage together and I get a lesson in dodge and weave near Sumos cage.

Yes they do get angry.
Examples here are: pushing your hand away, light bite ( not grooming bite ), charging the door wanting out, racing around the cage when I'm not quick enough giving out suppliment to various cages, snapping at cage mates when they want water first, chattering teeth from moms protecting babies from the hand that wants to weight them, spraying from a female. Thats a really bad insult to me. And lets not forget the dreaded combing. One of my males curls up and bites his own feet trying to get to me. Yep! You read that right. Thus the name Diablo fits.

I forgot to add my cat WB. WB stands for walnut brain. Well Mr. WB hates anyone doesn't live in our house. Think nasty. The hiss, stink eye and bites. Anyone who is a regular visitor knows to keep clear of him. I will say turning 16 years of age had mellowed him greatly. He likes my petsitter by day two. I supply her with an oven glove to administer his insulin. Laughing yet? :rofl:

But one thing has not changed. If my husband or I are doing something in the kitchen and are too busy to notice him, he nips the back of your leg! Or if you are anywhere else downstairs and having a stand up conversation or hugging each other and WB is around..........he will nip the back of your leg. WB is a cat with a two year old mentality. If you don't pay attention to him he will bite the back of your leg. He doesn't whisker rub your legs to let you know he's there. He just silently sits behind you and then..........CHOMP! The strange thing about this whole story is never knowing when he will nip you. Only happens about once a month. Not a daily happening. Geezzz.....
When the nip is too hard I have to take action. A mother cat would grab her kitten and hold it down by the neck to the ground and growl. Since he was a bottle fed orphan I have to hold him down on the floor sometimes and use a loud firm voice. I say.............NO SIR!!!!

Back