Disinfecting shelves?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhluvsmh

Whisker Kisses Addict
OK, yes, I'm a little anal, but is there anything I can clean and disinfect the wood shelves in my girls cages? I use a vinegar/water solution to clean the pans but was just wondering about the wood shelves. Thanks in advance!

If you go the sanding route, its nice to have a full backup set of shelves that you can just swap out fully when disinfection time comes. We used to just take an entire day to clean two cages, but found that if you just do a complete swap out its not as much of a pain. We can get everyone cleaned and disinfected now in a week instead of a month.

If you are really anal, tile your shelves, cleaning is really easy and they are clean, nothing soaked in.

I assume everyone is giving good advice for your purpose...but do you mean clean or disinfect? Disinfect seems to suggest the shelves are contaminated with something other than "daily debris" Clean is just to remove regular accumulation of poo/pee/dirt.

I just wanted to mention, for contagious ailments and exposure to unsafe chemicals etc...there is NO safe way to clean/disinfect a wood shelf. Period. Throw it out!

Back