Debating getting my baby a ball

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookiFace1

While Sookie's nose is still healing Im paranoid to let her have playtime in the same areas she did before. Someone suggested I get her a ball to avoid her running her nose into something. I know about the danger of overheating if left in there too long and the obv poop shower shell get. Ive been youtubing chins in balls and it doesnt look like they have much fun, they look more confused than anything. Does anyone have a ball for their chin? Do they grow to love it? Any pros and cons I havent listed? We would greatly appreciate your advice :)

There's plenty of info about the health issues of balls (Meanie's linked a great thread for that) but I've not seen much on the natural behavioural aspects of chinchillas & the use of exercise balls ............ so I'm going to tackle the issue from that aspect, if I may.

From a purely behavioural point of view, one of the biggest problems with the 'deathballs' is that chins, unlike hamsters or other small furries, don't actually run in a straight line. They are curious creatures who like to bounce, jump, dart around & they can't do that in a ball - I think it is one of the reasons they don't look 'comfortable' in them.
If you consider that a chin's back feet are strong enough to propel them up to door handle height, that they love bouncing off walls, that they often zig-zag around, I think that balls are totally inappropriate for a chinchilla. They are just not 'straight line' animals - they are designed as rock hoppers.
Hamsters & guinea pigs generally scurry about in a straight(ish) line. Chins are the opposite, bouncing about like furry fleas, intent on getting where they want to as fast as possible & usually by the most 'interesting' route. They like to hide in small holes, potter about in tubes, cardboard boxes, 'investigate' (read: chew to destruction) anything that takes their fancy (new shoes? YUM!) etc.

Given the opportunity, a chinchilla in a safe environment will generally explore every cm of the area; the walls (ping!), anything they can jump up to, the furnishings (electric cable? Oooh good - mine!), the nearest available human (you'll do as a springboard or can I just sit on your shoulder & reach out to that place you don't want me to go? .... ah, yes I can - ping!)........ watch a chin for long enough & it becomes obvious that balls create an environment which is totally opposite to a chinchilla's normal behaviour.
They need enough space around them to sit up, to hop, to jump, & to explore - all of which are not possible in a ball, no matter how big it is.
Add to that the fact that chinchillas are generally pretty agile (yes, they sometimes bump into things & occasionally miss their target when jumping but they are pretty well controlled when moving) & need to be in control of their immediate environment - a chin which cannot balance properly & jump as they wish is not exhibiting normal behaviour.

The other issue which needs to be borne in mind is that issue of prey vs predator - chinchillas are naturally cautions/nervous animals who will, at an unusual sound, dart for safety - there's no safety in a ball, they can't hear/see danger coming & they can't dart away to a safe spot if danger does happen to come near them. Again, from a purely behavioural viewpoint, a ball is just not suitable for a chinchilla & I do wonder how much undue stress is put on a chinchilla placed into a ball for exercise.

Comments/discussion?

hmmmm..... ok.... that does make sense as to why I felt the chins on the videos were just... out of place...

Now a playpen.. Where would I be able to buy one she cant leap or climb over?

You could always temporarily cover everything with fleece and make it a big cushiony wonderland

Please don't get him a ball for all the reasons above plus they get pee and poop all over themselves.

There are a number of good playpens. You can find them at Petco and Petsmart and on line like http://www.ferret.com/cages/playpens/889/ I have found that when I use the pens, the chins tend to interact with me more. I cover it with an old sheet held on with binder clips when I don't want them jumping out.

I got a WARE pop up playpen off ebay for like $50 which (after researching) seemed to me to be on the lower end cost wise of playpens. I love it because it has high walls that they can wall surf in and a mesh zip over cover to prevent them from jumping out. Clean up is easy because I just take a vacuum and get all the poo and dust. Then it folds up and fits almost anywhere.

Although I bent some of the wires in mine so it doesn't fold up as nicely, but it still does its job great! I will just say to go around the inside before you let her in it and cut all the loose threads so the can't eat then

:) the fleece idea is good! I honestly was considering covering everything in blankets till my husband looked at me like I was nuts lol.

OOOOHHHHH the playpens are amazing! I live In Bermuda right now so unfortunately I dont have much to choose from out here but the ebay reference and the link are extremely helpfull! Thank you guys oh so much!

Back