Dealing with Spraying

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil_Branchette

I'm getting a cat, Smokey, and currently he's an outdoor cat, but how do I get him not to spray, because we're turning him into an indoor cat....

But even neutered, sometimes if it's a habit that's been formed, it's hard for them to quit. Maybe he won't feel the need to spray in a house that he doesn't have to 'protect from other cats', but I'm not sure.

If you see him getting ready to spray (squaring up to a wall, lifting his tail), carry him to a litter box right away. I agree with the above, though, he might just be really used to it, and some indoor boys miss the litter box occasionally.

Do you know how long it will take him to get used to being an indoor cat, and stop spraying at all?

Today, I asked one of my friends who has a cat, and she said that you have to spray the spot that the cat is about to pee on, or something. I don't quite remember, but could someone tell me if that works, and what exactly do you do?

When I was a kid we had a cat that still sprayed after being neutered and the vet game him some female hormone (estrogen?) which stopped it.

I know that it's not your fault because you didn't have him when he was younger... but this is a good reason to have your pets fixed when they are young!

Do you have any other animals in the house? Have their been other animals in the house? Cats will spray if there is the odor of another animal to mark their territory.

Latest posts

Back