daily multivitamin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJJ

chinnies215
I need help choosing a daily multivitamin. Right now I'm taking Women's one a day active mind and body and it makes me want to throw up:sick:. That can't be all that beneficial, so I think I'm going to throw them out :p

Does anyone have a multi vitamin they love?

I have Nature's Plus, its vegetarian and I believe all natural (get it from the health food/organic store). They come in a big tab that you need to take two of, and minitabs (which are normal vitamin size) that you take 6 of. I find them easy to swallow (I have a mental block with taking pills and sometimes just can't swallow them for the life of me for no reason, takes a couple tries with most things), and they seem to work ok for me without any gross aftertaste.

I have Nature's Plus, its vegetarian and I believe all natural (get it from the health food/organic store). They come in a big tab that you need to take two of, and minitabs (which are normal vitamin size) that you take 6 of. I find them easy to swallow (I have a mental block with taking pills and sometimes just can't swallow them for the life of me for no reason, takes a couple tries with most things), and they seem to work ok for me without any gross aftertaste.

I have that same mental block! The coating ends up dissolving in my mouth and then it's gross and I cut it into tiny pieces and try to swallow those.. I have to just try and NOT think about swalling them.

These ones have sort of a shinier surface and they are really compressed, which makes it a ton easier for me!

Women's One A Day make me nauseous as well. I researched why...I think I remember it was because it had a LOT of a certain ingredient (iron, maybe?). I switched brands and my new ones (generic Walgreen one a days) don't bother me.

Wait i just looked at your age and i didnt think people our age really needed to take vitamens. makes since now seeing how children take them lol i guess its cause on the commercials i dont see any teens thru 30 year olds

I don't drink a lot of milk, and I don't think I get a lot of calcium and vitamin D from other places, so I try to take a vitamin for that--and iron. I don't think there's too much iron in my food :p I don't eat a lot of meats--just chicken and some fish. I figure whatever is extra will cycle itself out of my body naturally, but I'd like to have it there in case I need it!

yeah lol it does deff make sense loli just cant beilive i thought that way and now thinking about it, makes sense

Unless you have a recognized deficiency (such as low iron or calcium), it's a waste to take a multivitamin. Eat a healthy diet and that takes care of what you need.

You can track your vitamin/mineral intake at fitday.com just by listing what you eat daily.

If you only need calcium, only take calcium. It's not safe to overdo it on fat soluable vitamins and can cause more harm than good.

Unless you have a recognized deficiency (such as low iron or calcium), it's a waste to take a multivitamin. Eat a healthy diet and that takes care of what you need.

You can track your vitamin/mineral intake at fitday.com just by listing what you eat daily.

If you only need calcium, only take calcium. It's not safe to overdo it on fat soluable vitamins and can cause more harm than good.

I agree with HM...

If you are going to take calcium, there are lots of options. One that seems to be pretty popular is Viactiv. They are sort of like a tootsie roll. But, if you take calcium, I'm a believer in taking magnesium with your calcium. The magnesium helps your body absorb the calcium.

I was looking at the kids' vitamins today (like the flintstones kind) and they had adult doses too. Actually, the adult dose was still one tablet, the same as a child over 4. Those are yummy from what I remember. :) I didn't really look into it any further than that.

I was looking at the kids' vitamins today (like the flintstones kind) and they had adult doses too. Actually, the adult dose was still one tablet, the same as a child over 4. Those are yummy from what I remember. :) I didn't really look into it any further than that.

LMAO I used to sneak and take 2 or 3 of those things a day when I was a kid! They were so good! :hilarious:

*thinks to self - "maybe that's what's wrong with me"*

I don't take a multivitamin, only calcium with vitamin D and extra D because I'm very deficient in my Vitamin D3 (as determined by blood tests). I also take glucosamine chondroitin for my knees as recommended by my doctor.

So I take Caltrate twice a day and then 2,000 more IUs of Vitamin D3.

My daughter is anemic though, so I make her take a multivitamin with iron and I make her take calcium and D because of my history. I have her take Smart Basics Women's Daily multivitamin and then only one Caltrate.

If we get a cold, then we take one Zinc tablet a day to help us heal a bit faster.

A mulitvitamin that is great is called Alive- it's a liquid multi and if you can get over the dark green colored shot it's wonderful. It's got the basics found in multi's, but also has a lot of superfoods which I like and doesn't have a lot of iron (a number of people have a hard time with iron supplements).

(it does um... make your urine look highlighter yellow/green though)

I am an adult, but I take Flintstone's plus calcium. I have a bit of a pill swallowing issue - I've worked to improve it, but it's just easier chewing stuff from time to time. The Flintstone's is a regular multivitamin with 200mg calcium rather than the standard 100mg in most children's vitamins.
No nausea with those. Added bonus: you get to choose between cartoon characters and flavors ;)

I've been taking Centrum Forte for a long time...and all my bloodwork has come back as being exceptionally good for vitamin/mineral levels. And no side effects. I like it

A mulitvitamin that is great is called Alive- it's a liquid multi and if you can get over the dark green colored shot it's wonderful. It's got the basics found in multi's, but also has a lot of superfoods which I like and doesn't have a lot of iron (a number of people have a hard time with iron supplements).

(it does um... make your urine look highlighter yellow/green though)

So does my vitamins. That's how I know I forgot to take them that day. If my urine is normal colored to the medicine cabinet.

Mine is in a caplet form but sounds very similar to the liquid that you take. I went on the Vitamin Shoppe website to see if I could find it but they don't have it listed there.

I need help choosing a daily multivitamin. Right now I'm taking Women's one a day active mind and body and it makes me want to throw up:sick:. That can't be all that beneficial, so I think I'm going to throw them out :p

Does anyone have a multi vitamin they love?

I didn't read this whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned. Do not take vitamins on an empty stomach. Take it with a meal and they won't make you sick. Give it a try.

If you want to supplement Vit D, just eat dairy/milk products. Vitamin D deficiency can be easily fixed and the effects reversible, but vitamin D overdose can kill you. I don't recommend that people take vitamin D supplements and you will find that most vitamins don't even contain D in them.

Iron is definitely found in chicken and fish. If you are eating meat, you're getting iron... even if it's not red meat. Don't take supplements for that if you aren't a vegetarian.

Calcium is always a good idea though. If you don't eat much dairy, taking calcium is beneficial. Many women start taking calcium around menopause, but they don't actually absorb most of it. If you want to prevent osteoporosis during pregnancy and menopause, then densify your bones now! Between the ages of 21 and 35 is when you want to stock up! Viactiv (or something like that) makes a good calcium chewable that is flavored chocolate or caramel.

Hope this helps!!

I've read that the vitamin D limit to kill you is still up for debate. Because we wear so much sunscreen and avoid the sun, we miss out on a lot of vitamin D we would have had even 10 years ago without sunblock.

Even when I eat with these vitamins, I get sick! I threw them away today. No need for that :p I'll browse the vitamin isle today and see what's offered!

I think I should take vitamins because I don't always get everything I need from food. I went to the 99 last night and realized that french fries were my supposed vegetable with my meal, for example. I should have had a salad or some sort of real vegetable! And I don't eat fish or chicken everyday. My diet isn't perfect, and I'm trying to improve it, but I think that supplementing with a daily multivitamin would be more beneficial to me than harmful. The debate is still ongoing if we need daily multivitamins, some scientists say yay, some say nay, I lean towards the yay side of things, hence why I'm making the personal decision to take one. I gave blood yesterday and my iron count was perfect, so I'm not overdoing that with a multi. I know I don't get enough vitamin D because I tend to stay indoors in the winter and I don't drink much milk. I'm incorporating more fruits and veggies into my diet, but slowly so I can stick with it. Haven't had much more than the sniffles this year with my daily vitamin, so it's helping me :) Just have to find one without all those energy supplements. I thought they'd help my metabolism :p

Back