cuttlebone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xBrianx619

Android Enthusiast
I noticed a little white spot on gizmos tooth today. How long should I wait before I give him cuttlebone? When his teeth are all white??

Yeah I have no alfalfa. Any ideas where I could buy some cuttlebone?? Like an asian market or somethin? Haha

white spots on teeth tell you there could be a calcium deficiency in the chin. cuttlebone contains calcium.

a chin's teeth, from my research, should be orange all over.

They should be carrot orange, it's a sign that they have appropriate amounts of calcium stored, as it's stored in the teeth and bones. The teeth are obviously easier to see! LOL

Well I gave him a piece of cuttlebone but he doesn't demolish it. He'll scrape a little off with his teeth then leave it be, how much of the bone does he actually have to consume???

Well I gave him a piece of cuttlebone but he doesn't demolish it. He'll scrape a little off with his teeth then leave it be, how much of the bone does he actually have to consume???

I'm not sure if this is true with chins, but back when I had birds it would take them a long time to go through a cuttlebone. They would just chew on it a little bit at a time.

Yeah but its not hanging on his cage or anything. Its only a piece about the size of a quarter, is that big enough??? Or should I give him a larger piece? And azchinsm he eats mazuri pellets, timothy hay, and he's got a couple cubes that I bought off you in there. He has some white spots on his teeth, should I worry only if his teeth are allll white??

Chin teeth are like tree rings, any bump in the road calcium wise can show up as a white band or spot, if the majority of the teeth are orange I would not worry, especially if the chin is on the diet stated above, if you are really worried give the chin some loose alfalfa rather than the cuttle bone.

It's not really a calcium supplement or at least because the chins sometimes just chew the cuttle bones to dust and don't eat it you really can't consider it as such.

I'd watch his teeth over the next few months and see if the color evens out and maybe becomes a deeper orange, like Dawn said. If he has no other symptoms at this point and the alignment of the teeth is good, there's nothing to worry about. Calcium absorption problems or deficiency always have other symptoms.

The Mazuri and hay cubes should provide plenty of good, easy to absorb calcium for your little guy. :)

Back