Crumbs in bowl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhluvsmh

Whisker Kisses Addict
Wondering if crumbs in pellet bowl is an automatic sign of impending teeth problems? No other signs what so ever. They eat over their bowls and do not use their hands. There are some half pellets and some crumbs in the bottom. Thoughts...:hmm:

Its one of many symptoms, it can be something or it can be nothing. When in doubt keep a weight chart of the chin weekly, if there is a slow gradual loss with no uptick in weight then it can point to teeth. Weight loss is a first sign of teeth issues in all chins. Of all the malo and dental chins, not one I had left crumbs anywhere, I even had two with severe advanced malo that did not drool, so not every chin has every symptom but I am safe to say all have weight loss.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawn! I do have a weight chart and all three have actually been on the upswing the past 4 months but they are not quite 2 yet so not finished growing. So weight is the key. Good to know! I appreciate you!

Dawn of course is right - lost of weight is the key. A lot of chins like to 'leave crumbs' and 1/2 eaten food in the dish. At the end of the week I throw out all 1/2 eaten and crumbs left and start with new food and add each day.

Back