critter nation for baby chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuper ChinnieBaby

Hi I recently just saved a baby chin.. I've never owned one befor. I went on kijiji and found a brand new double CN for free. But couple prblems, first there is plastic pans. Am I able to just cover the whole pan in fleece, almost like a pillow case? Also he is only 13 weeks old is he allowed in the whole cage I read somewhere I had to block it off and only give him half of it

Yes you can cover the pans pillowcase style with fleece, it's the easiest way to do it securely. I cover the pans with a pillowcase style with more fleece for added absorbancy inside or for the bottom pan, on top (I was trying different ways to see what worked best for me).
I would only allow access to half the cage for now, kits can be very clumsy as they grow. Blocking half off also limits the amount of bouncing around it can do, it needs it's energy for growing. Once the kit is about 6 months it should be more coordinated and closer to full grown. It's really up to you though, if you decide to allow full access then make sure you leave the middle level in, as I said kits are clumsy and a fall of more then a foot can kill or seriously injure.

So I'm guessing he's to young for a wheel I don't own one but wanted to get one for him and still need shelves for him he has the two small lvls in there but no shelves to jump to n I had a wood hidey house but he already grew out of that lol.. I have pvc tube for him as well is that ok for now for him . N his chin chiller, oxbow hay n pellets I just don't no what to add in a huge CN for such a young baby

Yeah he is still too young for a wheel, you normally want to wait until he's 6 months to a year before giving him a wheel. Even adult chins sometimes over do it on the wheel and lose weight so it's something to keep an eye on. When you do get on though keep in mind that the plastic ones are garbage (too small and plastic), the metal grate ones are dangerous they tend to be too small but also the chin can get toes caught and with the bar they can break a leg, foot, tail, or neck. Chin safe wheel are only found online, you need a solid metal wheel, at least 15 inches in diameter (or equivalent if going with the flying saucer), 14" is ok if your chin is small, but anything smaller puts unnatural backwards pressure on their back when running. Popular safe wheels are the metal flying saucer, the chin spin, and the silver surfer, you're looking at around $100 plus shipping new for those. The only one you can get in Canada is the metal flying saucer from Flower town Chinchillas. The other wheels you can get shipped up here but the shipping is close to the same amount as the wheel.
PVC is ok so long as he isn't chew it and so long as it's drinking water grade PVC, otherwise it can contain chemicals. Most commonly drinking water PVC is the white one.

For ideas on cage decoration check out the FN club thread on the forum.

Back