Cranberry juice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Lise

I'm giving one of my nursing female cranberry juice 50/50 with water as well as a water bottle and I am getting worried about the quantity she's drinking. I almost fill completely a 8oz edstrom bottle and she'll drink it all in one day. She barely touches her water bottle, only when there's no more cranberry juice. Obviously she pees A LOT and I change the shavings every other day. The 2 kits are doing well, they are 2.5 weeks old now and 95g each. They took a week to start gaining weight steadily and they are slower to grow than my other litter. The other female just wouldn't touch the cranberry juice so I stopped giving it after a week.

What do you think?

At 2.5 weeks, I wouldn't give cranberry juice. It's just for the first few days when giving birth to get her milk in. If the kits are gaining, then she doesn't need it and it's not really serving a purpose. You could give her powdered milk replacer mixed with grinded pellets instead. Even the kits eat it.

I grind pellets and oats in my coffee grinder. Then I pour the ground pellet in a very shallow dish. I mix a bit of oats in too. Thats what I've been using for my mom and her quads. I couldn't find any powdered goats milk. Mom and kits love this mix. And soft hay for kits is a big hit with them. The soft almost dusty stuff in the bottom of a hay bag or some orchard grass.

Back