Constipated

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
HELP. Ok so 3 days ago, I noticed some strange behavior. Usually when it's dinner time, he's all bouncy and hyper. 3 days ago, he was still pretending to be asleep. Then 2 days ago, I noticed he eats ALL his hay and like hardly any pellets. The water level seems to be the same too. Then I saw him do tons of stretches like he would stretch his whole body out and his stomach. Yesterday, I checked closer, and noticed his poop is very small and hard and hardly any poop! I researched like crazy and found that raisins are good for constipation. This morning, I bought raisins and fed him 2. Now he's sleeping. He seems VERY tired lately, and his eyes look tired, he seems tired, and he gets annoyed if I pet him cause he wants to sleep. WHAT DO I DO? He had a dust bath last night, and he does move around and act perfectly normal, just his poop is small & hard/seems more tired/stretching.

Chin has bloat according to the symptoms listed and frankly the raisin was the worst thing you could give a bloated chin, the chin needs a vet ASAP, meaning get on the phone now and get the chin i, not treated quickly it can kill in a very short period of time not to mention the chin is in extreme pain.

The literal minute after I read your replies after checking the forum, I called a vet, then she was full so I literally called 11 vets near my area, all of them were full, except one. I called my mom, and told her she needed to come home cause it was an emergency. She said I couldn't go to the one I was going, but her vet she goes for my dog, we drove them, I told the doctor and his assistant everything. His assistant has 2 chinchillas at home and yea anyways, after like a hour, they said I couldn't do x rays cause it would be way too stressful for him, and so they gave Shadow an inject of METOCLOPRAMIDE and water for fluids. of course my chinchilla squeaked because of the needle and he ran away twice in the vets room, besides that, I'm told to give him this metoclopramide every 12 hours, and he DOES poop though. In his carrier, he pooped A LOT, and actually his poop look normal and not small and hard (i think the raisins in the morning helped), and he acts fine, moves around a lot, jumps, pretends to roll in imaginary dust, etc...As for the lack of poop, my mom told me she vacuumed his cage this morning and that's why there was a lack of poop. He does poop a lot and that's a good thing, and he did pee this morning, and he does eat hay. I haven't seen as many stretches as before, and since last night, I stopped giving him treats, he just had hay, and i saw some pellets were eaten. Anyways, I went crazy and literally was so scared he had bloating that i almost drove to a vet really far away that i have no idea how to get there even with the help of the GPS on my own, i care for my chinchilla, and of course i get worried, I just came back from the vet today.

Simeithocpme where can I get this for my chinchilla? I asked my vet and he didn't know, and said he would do research. I think this will be best cause he's bloated, he stretches, so which baby brand do I buy?? and how much do I feed? and what size syringe?

Look for baby gas drops at Wal Mart or most drug stores.

Do they sell the at Safeway? I'm heading there right now it's the closest. they have a pharmacy. can i just ask and they will give me it even though i dont have a prescription? Also will safeway have baby droppers?

I rushed to safeway (again) twice for my chinchilla. There was only the SAFEWAY version of Mylicon. It's called Infant's Gas Relief, it says 20 mg Anti-Gas. I tried feeding him (everybody says chinchillas loved them) mine hated it, he wouldn't even lick from the dropper, i forced a little around his mouth and he licked some then i put some drops on a raisin and he drank tinyyyyy amount and he ate the whole raisin (i need to stop with the raisins this is his second today), anyways, i hope this is the right brand and this helps. I need help on a easier way to feed him medicine. It's impossible almost to open his mouth.

Back