Considering what's best for my Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchandChilla

Chinch and Chilla
I have a lot of debt right now due to unfortunate circumstances. I'm very stressed and I have been working a lot during the days and nights. However, with my new job I'm not making enough money to make even a tiny dent in anything. So I'm going to have to get a second job.

BUT, now with a second job it is very clear to me that I won't have the time or energy to take my chinchillas out to play. I don't want to be neglectful of them! I want to choose what's best for them. . .and it's heartbreaking to even begin to think about giving my chinchildren up.

What would you guys do? Where would you take them? Any advice at all? I'm very emotional right now

Chinchillas can do just fine without outside of the cage playtime. As long as you can provide what they need to be stimulated and healthy, they should be just fine. I have many chins and most of them are in breeding runs. I make sure I talk to them while feeding and cleaning and take them out and hold them several times a week and they remain happy, healthy, calm and tame.

Many a chinchilla has lived without out of cage playtime.

If you are able to interact with them several times a day and keep them amused with chewy things to relieve their boredom, you will probably be fine.

Don't beat yourself up and give up too soon...

I agree - the chins have each other right now. And if you pay them some attention it is better than them having to adjust to a whole new environment. Things are bound to get better then you get pay them even more attention.

I agree with everyone else. I am in graduate school with a 20 hour a week internship and classes. The commute to my internship is 1.5 hours one way. I get my chins out for half an hour of playtime at least every other day, and they are still happy!

Do your chins have an exercise item like a chin spin?

I work and go to school full time, and am also in debt, so I know how you feel. I have 4 chins and the hardest part about is it trying to give them adequate playtime and giving enough attention. Keep a radio or tv on in their room, and make a schedule of when you can take them out and what day/days you'll clean. None of my chins get along, so I have to do 4 different playtimes....therefore I alternate days, or give 4 short playtimes, and they all seem happy.

Also try and buy bulk food/hay/toys when you do have the money, and you should be all set. Good luck and don't give up on them yet!

Believe me, it's harder to find a good home, than to get a wheel if you don't have one. They'll still love you, and you'll be able to sleep easy knowing they're cared for well. And when you get that extra 10 minute to play with them, it's a mini vacation.

and on a long day when your over stressed, nothing is better than sitting there petting their soft fur!!!! Best type of therapy and cheaper than a shrink!

Due to my chins chewing sheets of paint off the wall (bad apt) and eating them i havnt been able to have mine out for some time now. Its hard to do, but its better then the alternitive. All 5 of my chins are still doing good. And each cage has a flying saucer wheel so they can get some exercise.

They really do fine without being let out. We try to let out ours often, but especially when we're overflowing with rescues, we just don't have the time (not enough hours in the day!) to let out every chin for a decent amount of time.... so when that happens, we let out the ones that are in smaller cages, or the ones without wheels.... you get the idea. None of them go nuts, they're all fine. Oh sure, they would all prefer to be let out 24/7, but a lot of people don't let out their chins all the time and they do alright. Just give them some lovin' when you have time and I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Back