Confused about Botanical Hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrynight0621

I got this hay for my chins today:

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1525

They advertise it as chin-friendly.

However, I looked at the specific ingredients (Timothy Grass Hay, Chamomile, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Clover) and looked some of them up. I found a website that said lavender is not chin-safe.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I have a hard time believing a reputable brand like Oxbow would put a poisonous plant into hay for chinchillas...

Thank you x3ndless! I am just worried because I have read you shouldn't give lavender to chins at all, you should limit it's use, and it's fine. Lots of conflicting information.

I gave my chins a little bit of the hay last night and they loved it. Some people might remember that my chins have been picky hay eaters and I have been having trouble with that.

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Thank you x3ndless! I am just worried because I have read you shouldn't give lavender to chins at all, you should limit it's use, and it's fine. Lots of conflicting information.

I gave my chins a little bit of the hay last night and they loved it. Some people might remember that my chins have been picky hay eaters and I have been having trouble with that.

Does anyone else have any opinions?

good to hear id say just keep an eye on there poop and behavior, if they start having diarrhea, take them off it. I highly dooubt it will cause oxbow is usually very responsible w/ chinchillas.

Post the website where you saw it was not chin safe?
its in her first post :)

Whenever I have a question on herbs I always ask Tanya at fuzzieskingdom.com. She's done a lot of research, and has some great products as well.

Thanks, Brittany.
A small amount of dry lavender is not likely to cause any harm. Pregnant chins, however, should not get dry lavender.
Lavender oil should not be used internally as it can be toxic to chins' liver and kidneys.

Im unsure if this should be considered a reliable source. It promotes serving fresh greens which most educated chin owners disagree with. Needless to say, moderation in all things. I think they were referring more to foods that you shouldnt hand your chin a handful of like you would hay...I wouldnt be surprised if lavender would be toxic in large amounts however we know it to be healthy in small amounts for sure.

Im unsure if this should be considered a reliable source. It promotes serving fresh greens which most educated chin owners disagree with. Needless to say, moderation in all things. I think they were referring more to foods that you shouldnt hand your chin a handful of like you would hay...I wouldnt be surprised if lavender would be toxic in large amounts however we know it to be healthy in small amounts for sure.

Ditto to this. There are a few things in that care guide that don't seem right to me. Although it does have some good info, I probably wouldn't consider it completely reliable.

Magyk has been getting Boatanical (mixed with meadow hay, timothy hay and orchard grass from Oxbow) for quite a while and she's as healthy and happy as could be, so I don't think it will hurt them.

Agreed on that site, doesn't look overly reliable.

Back