Collar Issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetrue

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any chins that did not do well in a collar and developed sores/wounds from the collar resting against the chin's neck? I recently had a female whose collar started scraping a line into the top of her neck. I originally assumed it was b/c the collar was too tight, but I could easily get a finger under the collar. I removed the collar and she hasn"t worn one since, but I was curious if this happens often? If so, for those of you that only use runs, what would you do in this instance?

Cheryl

I have had this happen on two occasions, most recently last week. From what I have heard it is more commonly found at the top of the neck or behind the head. My first girl it happened on was under the chin and while she had nothing visible from the outside I noticed a lump one day that turned out to be an abcess under the skin that needed to be opened and drained. Simply putting a very loose collar (well after the wound was healed of course) on her has worked well in that instance.

My second girl is the same as yours - of course now I check them both front and back and this one developed a deep cut on the back of her neck one week after I checked that she was fine. The collar is removed but was loose all the way around so not sure why it rested that way. Not sure what I will try with her once she is healed. Now I am super paranoid and have been checking them all weekly rather than monthly.

I will be looking for others responses to see if anyone has a solution for both locations as well.

Cheryl I have one female who doesn't do well with a collar. To be honest all females in that run are very easy going and I leave all three girls uncollared and close them when they litter. I also lucked out in that the females are different colors and I'm not left trying to figure out 3 standards.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one having this problem. This is the first time I've had a female react negatively to her collar, so it's worrisome. I'm definitely checking them all a lot more!

Megan - unfortunately this particular female doesn't play well, hence why she was in one of my 2 runs to begin with :-\ Both the other females in her run littered, so they are blocked off and she and the male have had free roam of the run for almost 2 months. I'm planning on putting 2 more females in this male's run though, and don't want to worry about putting a collar back on this female only for her to have another injury.

Cheryl

Back