Coaching Little Kids

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinfulcindylou

Queen of the Sinful Chins
Ok I have been coaching volleyball for 7 years, but only at the high school and middle school level and my program has been quite successful. This year I have a team of elementary schoolers averaging about 9 years old and I have to say it’s definitely a challenge.
Volleyball is a pretty technical and complex sport to teach to kids that aren’t yet that coordinated so it’s been very challenging for me to find drills that are simple enough for them to do, but also complex enough for them to not get bored and keep their attention. I’ve been spending hours each week developing drills, reading drill books, watching videos and asking some of my old coaches questions, but it doesn’t seem that I can really keep these kids engaged. I know that it IS possible to get young kids to perform at a pretty consistent level as one of the programs in my area has shown this at some tournaments. I have to say that program is the exception and not the rule as the rest of the teams are around the same playing level as mine- but I would still like to improve my coaching skills to deal with the younger kids.

Does anyone else here coach younger kids like this? If so, what sports? And how on earth do you keep their attention? LOL .

I know this is gonna sound kinda....bad...but what the coaches of my son's basketball, football and baseball teams do is they offer rewards for certain achievements. Sometimes it's a sucker/snack after practice, sometimes it's cold hard cash, etc...depends on what they want them to do and achieve. Give them a reward for their actions and usually, they'll try to work for it, because they know that in order to get the reward, they're going to have to pay attention and do as asked.

ETA - This has been common practice for the past two years in all of these sports. He'll be 10 this month.

Ok so I've tried the rewards thing and it worked a couple of times. So thanks Amanda. But I still have 3 out of my 8 kids on this particular team that I cannot get to focus. I have tried different punishments- having them sit out, run laps, do push ups, etc, but they aren't getting the hint. Unfortunately this isn't MY program and there are certain criteria that I have to follow. When it comes down to game time I HAVE to give equal playing time- this is effecting my team in a very negative way because those 3 girls that have been spending time doing things other than volleyball are really effecting the teams performance....

Anyone else have other ideas???

That age is hard! I've watched my kids go through t-ball, baseball, and softball for the past 3 years. Since their attention span is shorter, have you tried shorter drill times? Do something for 10 min., then switch it up?

yeah- this is definitely the hardest age group I have right now out of the 6 teams I am in charge of. I pack a lot into each practice to try to make it so they don't get too comfortable and start losing focus (I have to do this w/ my middle and high school kids, so it was natural for me to do it w/ the elementary schoolers as well).... Maybe I'm glad now that I decided not to do early childhood development lol. God Bless those that can do that day in and day out

well i have a 9 year old son in 3 different sports and i am quite sure he is border line add, i also have 2 stepsons aged 8 & 7.
i do not coach, but i find the best way to keep their attention is to distract and switch things up. and keep it fun! some times we make simple tasks like getting dressed a competition and they stay focused. i dont think punishment is a good solution in terms of them not being able to stay attentive. they may have add or adhd or another type of behavioal or learning problem.
i think you probably have to keep trying new things and eventually one thing will work. it may be one thing for each person, but you will find it.
it takes a strong person to be a coach! especially of that age group. ;)

Back