Cipro dosing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, we're up-ing the dosage to .15ml 2x a day. So since .1ml/5mg, it'll be .15ml/7.5mg 2x a day. Altogether 15mg of medication daily. Since he's sounding fairly congested and he does have a bit of discharge from his nose. But so far (knock on wood), he is still relatively active and interested in cuddling and saying hello to me. Though, right now he's pretty angry, he smacked my hands away when I tried to love on him, but after the force feeding, I'm not gonna hold it against him.

I usually feed 15-20ml per feeding or more if the chin wants it, 4-6 feedings a day spaced out every 4 hours or so. Good deal on upping the dose, his appetite may lag more but just keep feeding. If he gets really pi$$y about eating because he feels he is gagging due to being stuffed up you can feed smaller amounts more frequently.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you very much. I'll go ahead and do feedings every 4 hours for now, and try to get as much into him as possible. If he isn't getting enough, I'll up it to smaller feedings ever 2-3 hours. Here's hoping the stronger dosage gets rid of some of his congestion.

Moving the feedings to every 2-3 hours. He's too congested to get much into him at a time and the fight makes him wheeze more. He sounds pretty rattly in his chest now. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help with the congestion?

I just checked on him and he's not wheezing now or clicking. He's doing when he's distressed/worked up. i.e. When I feed him. I guess it's good that he's not wheezing constantly, but he sounds pretty bad when he's trying to eat.

URI chins do that when hand feeding is still stressful, the feeding gets more calm as time goes on.

It's extremely alarming sometimes, but I'm getting used to it. He REALLY doesn't like the hand feeding, but it's working to my advantage. He goes to bite the syringe and I'm easily able to give him a squirt.

He was down to eating 3-4mls every 2 hours. I was squirting a bit, had to let him swallow completely and breathe because of his congestion. But this last time, he fairly easily took about 8mls before I worried for his breathing.

He's maintaining his weight fairly well, and he still feels very solid and not limp or rag-dollish. He's bright eyed when I handle him, though he curls up and looks very dull when he's in the cage. I'm glad he's fighting me on the force feedings, it's good to see him fiesty and energetic.

Jack does not seem to be feeling any better. If anything, he is worse. He seems to be open mouthed breathing now, and when he breathes through his mouth, he whistles. He wasn't this bad this morning. I've brought a humidifer in my room, do you think this will help? If not, I'll shut it off.

His lungs sound a bit crackly.

Is there a period where they get worse before they get better or am I looking at a gradual decline? I am at such a loss.

He is not really swallowing the critical care anymore. Just kind of gasping and letting it run from his mouth. I am trying to rub his throat to get him to swallow.

Back