Cinnamon Kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishalaa

Irish Chinchilla
Had a litter born yesterday. At first, I thought the boy was just a bit stained from being born, but his odd color remains today. They are out of two pure standards - the girl is named Cherry and the cinnamon boy is Clover. It's different... I haven't seen a cinnamon in person before, so I can't wait to see if he turns exceptionally blue as I've heard they do come show time.

Attachments

• clovercherry1.jpg
    clovercherry1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 146
  • clovercherry2.jpg
    clovercherry2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 130
  • clovercherry3.jpg
    clovercherry3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 130
I have one female that fairly consistently throws cinnamon kits, it is lots of fun to watch them grow. I need to get pictures documenting the blueing process whenever she has her next litter. So far all 3 litters she has had so far have turned wonderfully blue by 6 to 9 months old. Her pure standard son that was shown in April was said to be the clearest animal at the show, he was more off color than yours at birth.

He's about 10g smaller, she was 54g and he is 46g. This is a first time mom, so not that unusual.

I'm going to wait a week for his fur to fluff up a bit and then I'm going to take a sample, hopefully see what's going on under the scope. You're right, he's not as cinnamonny as some of the photos I've seen, but it's definitely a weird beigey/violetty sheen, very noticeable when he's nursing next to mom.

Mom goes back to Shoots lines but dad has some Dark Star. Was your girl mated to the same male for all three litters?

Last edited:
Cinnamon???! Is this a red chin? He doesn't look like your fox chin I so love. I'll be looking forward to seeing him grow up!

I feel left out - I've never heard of this cinnamon kit turning blue thing. Pleaseeee post pictures as he grows up!
I did have a standard girl that I thought was just "off color" when she was born - figured it was due to having a beige father, but she turned out just fine color wise (Got "good color" at natl's). Interesting.

Mom goes back to Shoots lines but dad has some Dark Star. Was your girl mated to the same male for all three litters?

My girl was actually bred to 3 different males. She goes back to Shoots lines and 4LL. One litter was a pure standard litter and the other two were crosses with sapphire males. The sapphire carriers turned out really nice and have since produced some nice sapphires of their own.

I still owe you fur samples. :) I am slowly collecting them and will hopefully send them soon. I will make a note of which ones were cinnamon babies, if that is helpful too.

I feel the same as Alicyn - please explain 'cinnamon turning blue' I understand the blue part but not the cinnamon turning blue. I thought red (cinnamon) was a bad thing. Although I know not to worry at first because kit's color changes

I've had a kit like that but I didn't keep him because he looked off color-but I only kept him till he was 9 weeks old. ****-wish I would of kept him longer.

I first heard of really brownish-reddish color standard kits turning out to be blue and clear at 7-10 months of age from legendary empress judge Dick Bradford. My experience with them is that with certain lines it is true, they will really change as they come into first prime. However, we quit breeding those lines because they're brown when they're young and they generally turn brown again after 1st and 2nd prime. My grandfather had a x-dark male that always threw really brown-red colored kits, but as they grew their color got much better and if the show fell just right with their age and fur prime then they showed great. The problem was because they were so dark, they would always turn red-brown again after fur prime. This process is more noticeable and pronounced in darker colored standards, you won't notice as drastic of color change from brown to blue and back to brown in lighter color phase standards. My expectation in this litter of 2 is that the larger better colored kit will always be the better colored kit over the smaller "cinnamon" colored one. All chinchillas go through that same process of change, which is why our animals look best at shows during their first and second priming of fur (usually between 7 and 15 months of age). I try to work with lines that are sharp blue color at birth, they don't change as much as they age and they don't turn brown which gives you a larger window of time to show them and still have them look good color.

Mark, all of the ones that I have seen in my herd were medium to medium dark standards. My oldest are ~2.5 years old and have not turned brown yet. The color change when they were young was quite remarkable. On the other hand I have had kits born very off color that stayed very off color, so it is a crap shoot. I definitely will not be culling this line from my herd as so far they have produced some really nice kits.

Barb, red is bad. If this kit were shown today, he'd be laughed off the table. But, curious thing, sometimes when these cinnamon babies are born, I've heard they lose the redness as they prime and then appear to be very blue. It literally is red turning blue. Usually it's the other way around, chins get redder as they age.

Mark is the first one I've heard saying they turn brown again later, but to be honest there is not much info on these cinnamon kits that I've come across, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with him.

Jess... Raffle (ADK X10) is the mother.

Last edited:
I had a cinnamon kit born last year to a litter of quads. This medium standard x beige pairing had given me a few litters prior, most times with quads but this was the first time I had a "cinnamon" kit. At first I thought she might be beige but her eyes were dark and only the tips of her fur were that cinnamon color and the rest looked like the normal standard color. If you looked at her from the top she looked beige, although not exactly the same color as her beige littermates and not as gray as her standard gray brother. By 7 weeks, she looked like a normal standard though. I ended up selling her so I don't know what she ended up looking like.

I don't think it is red turning blue, it's adult fur taking over for baby fur.

My girl was actually bred to 3 different males. She goes back to Shoots lines and 4LL.
4LL is where my female that threw them came from, here's a pic of one of the kits. I was told about it by Canadians when I asked back in early 2000's. One of them had tried breeding specifically for it, but all of the babies grew out of it by adulthood.

Interesting. None of the 4 kits that are full siblings to raffle have ever done that. I will have to keep an eye on future offspring from that pairing.

Back