Chronic bumblefoot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolanu

The Clueless
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that there's a chronic version of bumblefoot. Miette turns out to have bumblefoot, and her feet have looked bad since I got her. Put some bag balm on today since it seems to be "flaring"?

Do you have any photos? Silver has the same problem and I´m always interested to see examples of other cases and to hear how people cope with it.

Thanks! I read that thread when he first started having problems and it was incredibly helpful, my guy is now on fleece all the time and has just finished a round of antibiotics and chlorhexidine foot gel and he´s the most active and happy I´ve ever seen him :D

Ah, thanks. Is the best way to help with this soft things like fleece everywhere in the cage? She also chews off the Bag Balm, does she need a cone of shame?

For my boy I put on his foot gel (we dont have bag balm in Sweden) before playtime so he is so busy running around that he leaves it alone while it absorbs in and I keep an eye on him which could work better than a cone, much less stress and a nice long playtime ;) I´ve also cut down on his dust baths as well and am being very careful to keep his shelves and fleece clean and chanced at least once a day. When Silver´s foot bled he went straight to the vet because I was worried about infection due to heat in the area, so I´ld keep an eye on that if I were you. I hope she feels better soon! As soon as we gave Silver more fleece he started sleeping on it and since then he moves around so much easier, so I´ld definantly say that would help her.

Sounds like a plan. I'm getting them a fleece covered tube for christmas to go with their two hammocks, and have stuffed their hidey house with fleece, which she's been sleeping on. Maybe I can make covers for the shelves in their cage... hmm....

Thanks for the help, she's definitely too opinionated to let me know when it hurts or keep the balm on, I'll try the playtime.

Back