Chins sleeping in the open

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdav

New Chin Lover<3
This may seem like a ridiculous question, but it's something I'm having difficulty finding specific info on. I'm very curious to know, is it normal for a chinchilla to sleep just any old place in their cage? I have provided Bigelow with several hideouts, all with ways for him to keep cool while inside them. Yet, I often notice him sleeping out in the open on one of his pieces of tile or on one of his ledges. Could this indicate that he doesn't like the hideouts I've provided, or is it normal? I just want to make sure he feels safe and comfortable.

Yes it can be normal - each chin is different. A chin that sleeps in the open and doesn't feel he had to hide in is feeling very safe and secure

I'm glad to hear that. I've been making every effort to ensure he is away from the other animals in an environment that is comfortable for him. I'm just so new (only had him a week + a day) and not familiar with ALL of the signs of stress, though I've read the basics. So it's nice to hear I may be doing things right!!

Both my chins sleep in a different spot all the time. Sometimes the hidey house, the hammock, just their face hanging in the hammock, like roadkill under their wheel, standing up along the sides..... Reminds me of how babies fall asleep on the floor while playing.

Its hard to see but my baby chin was sleeping wedged upright between the wood house and cage wall... My flash woke her up but she had been like that for quiet some time.

I also notice they sleep in diff places but also usually have one spot they will use more. =)

Attachments

• IMG_20130728_034702_156.jpg
    IMG_20130728_034702_156.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
Yes it can be normal - each chin is different. A chin that sleeps in the open and doesn't feel he had to hide in is feeling very safe and secure

That's what I always figured. Tribble usually sleeps out in the open. There are days when he is in his house though. Just yesterday morning, I went into the chinchilla room and he was in his house with his head sticking out. I started talking to him and cooing over him. He then turned around with his butt facing me. It was the funniest thing. I know that he didn't want to be bothered. LOL.

You have nothing to worry about! My chin does it on a daily basis. He's just very comfortable with his surroundings that's all. :)

picture.php

This is my favorite position:laughitup:

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 33
I've got one who figured out that he can climb inside his fleece hammock through a hole that was chewed into it on one edge. =o)

Love the photos. They look so precious when they sleep. =)

Also I realized after I made the OP I've had Biggie longer than I realized! It's actually been TWO weeks + 2 days, not one wk. So it makes sense that he has become so comfortable. I love the face he makes when he gets scritches - one of my fav. things ever. I want to capture it on camera one of these days.

Back