Chin's First Heat Cycle

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breevass

So Athena is having her first heat cycle (2 years old), which I think may have been delayed due to malnutrition, & other health issues that happened prior to rescue. We have had a year and a half and have been with her through all of her ups and downs. I have NEVER seen her this awful. She is throwing things, barking, spraying if I get too close to her, flipping everything over, throwing treats and food onto the floor, banging blocks on her metal wheel, shaking the cage, beating things against the side and bowls... Just an absolute terror. Is this common for a first heat or will she be like this every month?

I'm highly doubting it's her first cycle. Most than likely you just never noticed the others.

I don't think chins has "mood swings" (that's what it sounds like you are describing) during their cycle.

Has she been outside the cage for playtime recently? Maybe she just has built up energy or she's "redecorating".

I had one female who had terrible CMS a few times a year, either it was that or she was off her meds.......

She redecorates all the time, but she's never mean like that. She has bathroom play time every day after I get off work and has full access to her wheel. Ticklechin, did she react similar to what I'm describing? She's typically full of attitude, but this is bizarre, even for her!
And I've seen her sick before, so it doesn't seem like she's sick in any way. Heat is the only thing that I can think of!

Back