Chins are staying!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrsnation

:bliss: We were selling our herd of chins because of my son's allergy’s to their dust. After years with chins and I have been so sad. We have five chins left and I started crying while taking there pics last night :(. My hubby told me not to sell them. We are changing dust and getting an air purifier and looking into what else we can do to help keep dust down for my son. But I am soooooo happy we are keeping them!!!

Congrats and good luck! We have a couple of air purifiers running here and they help alot. I also only give dust baths once a week during the winter when we can't open the windows. That seems to help as well...

Yea!

What about making a little chin haven in your back yard!? I've seen people even use larger garden sheds, insulate them, add a window air and viola! They are out of the house so the dust and such can't even "seep out" into the ventilation. Tax time's coming up!

PS... post one more time and you'll have 100 posts... :neener:

I'm glad to hear you are going to try sticking it out and finding other ways to deal with your son's allergies. I just found your post regarding trying Sweet PDZ for a dust alternative and then this post and thought you might appreciate some info I have learned.
I have severe allergies myself and have tried everything imaginable, even Sweet PDZ. Finally, I came upon a simple mix of baking soda and cornstarch. It works just fine and doesn't give me asthma attacks or hives. It also makes their fur nice and touchable and doesn't give them the "dirty" feel that Sweet PDZ does. You may want to try it as well and see if that helps.
Good luck!

I didn't think I had allergies until I started having cat allergies and after getting chins everything got worst, it's the dust mostly. We have 2 air purifiers in my room and when ever I handle them when they're dusty I wear a mask now. It helps.

I'm glad to hear you are going to try sticking it out and finding other ways to deal with your son's allergies. I just found your post regarding trying Sweet PDZ for a dust alternative and then this post and thought you might appreciate some info I have learned.
I have severe allergies myself and have tried everything imaginable, even Sweet PDZ. Finally, I came upon a simple mix of baking soda and cornstarch. It works just fine and doesn't give me asthma attacks or hives. It also makes their fur nice and touchable and doesn't give them the "dirty" feel that Sweet PDZ does. You may want to try it as well and see if that helps.
Good luck!

Wow, and it makes their fur nice and fluffy? I have thought about a chin barn but I really like them inside so that they are part of the family. When we get income tax back we are getting two air purifiers and making melamine cages so that fur and dust don’t get out as easy.
Thank you everybody. I am sooo happy I get to keep them.

The good thing about having them not in the house is you can easily control what's going on around them ( good for breeding aspects ) but mostly it gives ME a get away place!

QUOTE=Riven;128678]The good thing about having them not in the house is you can easily control what's going on around them ( good for breeding aspects ) but mostly it gives ME a get away place![/QUOTE]

I get away, Very good point! :wink2:[

Hey, Whimsy! (by the way, this is Wendy!) I have looked all over the internet for what mixture to use for the cornstarch and baking soda, but haven't found anything. What amounts do you mix?

Back