Chins and dogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjamyst

My wife and I live in a condo. We have 3 dogs (small Havaneses). We are looking to buy a chinchilla. Will they do well together? I am worried about the dogs barking during the day when we are at work and stressing out the chin.

If they bark a lot especially during the day it could be very stressful for them. They do get their sleep during the day. I have researched before myself and even read that if chins don't get their sleep and constantly disturbed they could become very ill and worse.

It really depends on the dogs and the space. Some people say that their dogs are fine with chins, although having them in contact is really not recommended.
Will you have a separate room for the chin so that it doesn't feel threatened by the dogs? Do you have an okay area for play time where the dogs would not be able to access as well?
I second Laluvschins comments on the barking. There should not be excessive or stressful noise going on, especially during the chin's sleeping time.
Yes, there are plenty of owners on here who have dogs and chins in the same house, but a lot of it depends on your dogs and your space.

Do you have a room that could be specifically for the chin that allow them to be away from the dogs? Both of my chins are never around dogs or cats but the one time they they were, my female became VERY frightened.

Dogs are instinctively predators. Chins are prey animals. I personally would never combine the two. It only takes one mistake for things to go drastically wrong. Unless i had a separate room for them to make sure their is no contact between the two, i probably wouldn't get one myself

My chins have their own room. I only have a cat but the idea is the same with any preditor pet. If a chin were to get looe who knows what the dogs would do. And their are some illnesses that dogs can pass to chins.

My dog (shi-Zhu) is always trying to go sniff my little Paco, but I always make sure my door to my room where my chin stays is closed. I did let my dog sniff him, and my dog seemed more afraid of him than Paco was of the dog! But keep them separated, its definitely the better way to go.

Back