Chinny peeing in food bowl?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin5609

One of my girls (I'm pretty sure I know who) keeps peeing in her food bowl. Pooing in it a ton due to sitting on top of it I'm used too but she pees in it everyday.

Unlike her mother and brother she also refuses to become litter-trained, both of them will pick a spot always on the aspen and stick with it (sometimes more than one spot, but always on the aspen atleast, never on the fleece) while she pees where ever she feels like it including into the food bowl apparently,

is there any reason for this or anyway to change her behavior? She's 4 months old and her pee-everywhere behavior has been there her whole life so it's nothing new, just annoying and kinda gross for her and my other girl to have to eat it!

The peeing everywhere may just be her thing, I know both my boys will just take a couple steps from where they are and pee. I gave up on litter training pretty quick, I don't mind though. As to peeing in the food bowl, some people have had success using hooded food bowls like you can find for birds. Like these http://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Products-BPV1241-10-2-Ounce-Ceramic/dp/B0002DJ696

These critter baths work great as a food dish for a chin. I have that, and also just a plain stainless steel one that hangs off the bars of the cage. It's not hooded, but he doesn't sit in it.

Amana.jpg

Funny part is my chin who I'm talking about looks just like that :) !!

Thanks guys I'll see if she grows out of it if not ill look into the hooded / covered food bowls!

My chinchillas sit and poop on there food bowls some times and I have no Idea why? They stopped doing so a few days ago ... maybe yours assumed that the bowl serverd also as a litter box? The might grow out of that...in the mean time you can serve just a little over the amount they need to eat so you don't have clean and waste food all the time. (Before this they kept knocking the food bowl over :mad: )

Back