Chinchillas sleeping in litter pan?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

I've got two chinchillas, E and F. E is entirely potty trained, meaning he will only pee in one spot in the cage, and F just goes everywhere. Luckily, the pee corner is included. I recently added a pull-out tray to my cage, without the drop mesh because I'll never have my poor chins feet have to walk on that. So I added an old pie dish to the corner E pees in so I can change that bedding out daily and the entire tray twice a week. Well, they are using it to pee in! However, they also dig in the soiled bedding and sleep in it. Both chinchillas smell filthy but the dish is so helpful in keeping the cage cleaner.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to keep the pan but nix their foul smell? I'm also worried that it may cause mold/mildew to grow on their fur, even though the pee doesn't puddle or anything, it's just the wet bedding that's causing them to smell.
Thanks!

Yes, they have a large hidey house that they actually hardly use. They typically like the higher shelves in the cage for sleeping but the house is plenty large for them both and they used to use it all the time.

You gotta love it...

Or ofcorse; the exact opposite...

Amana.jpg

That's adorable! I would prefer them play in their food than in their bedding.. It's hard to "learn to love" a habit that's making them smell so bad! :(

Back