Chinchillas.com

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ippo456

I was just wondering who operates chinchillas.com & if anybody happens to know the breeder.
The reason why I'm asking is because I noticed that on the shipping info, it states that purchase price of the chinchillas includes international shipping.
I'm planning to move out of the country (to the other side of the world) by the end of this year and would like to do my research as early as possible. Seems like the person who operates chinchillas.com might be knowldedgable about long-distance international shipping.
Anybody else who can contribute or have info on international shipping, please feel free.

Thanks.

Laurie Schmelzle owns the site and Jim Ritterspach is the breeder of the majority of the chins on the site other than the angoras.

You can read more about them here:

http://chinchillas.com/resource/aboutus.htm

http://chinchillas.com/resource/jim_ritterspach.htm

They also have their shipping details here - which state that you must purchase 4 animals to be able to get them shipped Internationally.

The shipping price that they're including in each animal is about $150, so four of the animals is $600 in shipping. I purchased an animal from the site that was listed at $505 and because I picked it up, I got it for $350.

http://chinchillas.com/resource/shipping-delivery-scheduled-visits.htm

Last edited:
The only thing that I know is that chinchillas.com doesn't breed the chins they just sell them.

ETA: Tiffany said it so much better.

Ippo, please make sure before you move you do know whether or not chins are legal. I don't want to make it sound as if you aren't doing research, it's just that we have found chins are not legal everywhere. Also make sure you are able to get quality feed and hay for them as well.

There may also be problems with quarantine restrictions too - for us in the UK,for example, shipping a chin from the US means a 6 month quarantine period for the animal in a proper, registered quarantine facility. :(

Last edited:
I know that chinchillas are legal and the restriction I have to overcome is to show by a vet certificate that my chinchillas are rabies free (because the US is listed as a rabies-infected country).
I've also read up on quarantines and the minimum number of days of quarantine is 3 days.
As for chinchilla supplies, I'm not worried about that either. There's a local supplier of Mazuri and if I just happen to run out of supplies, be it food or toys, my sister is still in the US :)
My chinchillas are relatively young (about 2 years of age) & I would like them to grow old with me. I'd hate to ditch them just because of my circumstances.
My other sister moved her dog from the US to Asia last year & had no trouble. She was able to make reservations for a quarantine facility that has ACs even though she had to pay a little extra.

Last edited:
Back