Chinchilla's color?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

I've been contemplating for quite some time whether I should post this in general or anatomy.. that topic is mostly behavioral though so I decided on this one. :))
This is Patch Attack, my newest chinchilla. (I kept the name from the previous owner, he doesn't attack anyone or anything. Actually, he had the easiest introduction of them all.) However, I don't know exactly what color he is, with his markings. I've provided a front and back picture of him. It's kind of hard to see, but the base of his tail is a little bit lighter than the beige/tan/brown spot he has. Also, he has red eyes.
6ghndf.jpg
241a1l1.jpg

I don't need any more lecturing about my plastic litter tray, please. I'm well aware of the potential hazards and will remove it if any of the chinchillas ever show an interest in chewing on the plastic.
Thanks!

Last edited:
He's a heterozygous beige white or pink white for sure...he could have TOV. Sometimes the TOV can cause larger, darker patches of the beige, but I can't tell for sure. Do you by any chance know what color his parents happen to be?

I do not. I asked the previous owner and she said she took him in when neighbor brought the chinchilla home without his parents' approval.

He looks like a beige/white (beige mosaic) or pink white to me also in these pictures. If he has any spots on his belly then he is a tan/white (mosaic). If his belly is all white then I am going with the first two which are pretty much interchangeable.

His spot ends right about where the white belly begins on my others, so I suppose he's not tan. Looking on this website [http://www.fortheloveofchinchillas.com/mutations.html] the chinchilla listed under White Violet looked a bit like him, but I also learned that beige chinchillas can be much darker than I thought they could be. I used to have a super light beige chinchilla and I've never seen one much darker.
Regardless, thank you very much everyone!

He's definitely not a white violet. I would consider him a pink white since a tan white is a variation of a pink white, tan just specifies eb in the background which you don't know for sure.

Back