Chinchilla with fractured pelvis!!! Help!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloegoodin8

Hi guys. First time chinchilla mom here and I’m really in need of some advice. I’ve got a three year old chinchilla named Lilo and just a few days ago, stopped using her back legs normally. I took her to the vet and he said she’s got at least 2 broken bones in her pelvic area. She’s in a confined cage, and I’m giving her pain medication every 12 hours. She’s barely been eating or drinking and today, she hopped out of her cage. It’s about a 1 1/2 foot drop and I’m extremely worried that things are even worse than before. Any advice is needed, I’m so scared. Is euthanasia the best idea? Or should I continue to give her medication for a few weeks and see how x-rays look then? I’m worried by her lack of eating and drinking, as it’s hard to monitor her bathroom habits now. Does anyone have experience with broken pelvic bones?

I don't have any experience with that, but I have read chins can recover from a broken pelvis if everything is aligned and they take it easy long enough to heal. I would try to get her through until the next check, you may need to force feed several small meals a day (every few hours) if not eating on her own her since pain can cause them not to want to eat. Also if you are giving syringe meal replacement like Critical Care, don't worry too much about water intake since you are mixing it with water so they often don't drink much additional water at all.

I don't have any experience with that, but I have read chins can recover from a broken pelvis if everything is aligned and they take it easy long enough to heal. I would try to get her through until the next check, you may need to force feed several small meals a day (every few hours) if not eating on her own her since pain can cause them not to want to eat. Also if you are giving syringe meal replacement like Critical Care, don't worry too much about water intake since you are mixing it with water so they often don't drink much additional water at all.
Thank you so much Amethyst. I have been desperately searching for hope in this case because she’s so young and I would lose my mind putting her down. I appreciate your advice so much.

She needs to be confined at all times. Do not let her out. It will take at least 6 weeks and she will hate you, but the more she jars it the less likely it is to heal. Agree with Amethyst. She needs to be fed if she's not eating. It can heal. I've had it happen before with a chin. You just need to be really strict with her car.e

I'm so sorry to hear about your chinchilla. It sounds like she's in a lot of pain and you're very worried about her. I wouldn't recommend euthanizing her just yet. It's important to continue to give her pain medication and monitor her closely. With time and care, she may be able to recover.

Last edited:
Back